For those who already went M1

Looks like its time for me to get a new Macbook with M2
Those who already did… does a Time machine backup get your apps and docs onto the new machine or will everything need a full re-install?

Using Time Machine on Intel and M1 MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. It saves everything except paths I put in the exclusion list.
Caveat: after transition from one major version of macOS to a new one, Time Machine backups may become faulty. You don’t get an error message. It is a good idea to store a copy of the last good one before making the system upgrade, and check after upgrading if you can access the backups.

But will it put data and apps from an intel machine onto a new M1 machine?

In addition to TimeMachine I use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner); just in case… I mean, I prefer to have two backups using two tools instead of go blindly with just TimeMachine because of some bad past experiences trusting just in it.

6 Likes

Yes, without problems. I switched from my old MacPro 2013 to the new MacStudio and set it up from the MacPro TimeMachine backup…

Migration Assistant is pretty good these days. It can run from a time machine backup, or direct computer-to-computer hookup.

1 Like

Also, you should start new a time machine backup after reformatting your backup disk to APFS, which is much better than HFS.

See Getting started with Time Machine to APFS in Big Sur – The Eclectic Light Company

1 Like

Yes, this works. Connect source to target machine and use the migration assistant.

1 Like

I used Migration Assistant with a Carbon Copy Cloner backup to copy everything from my 2015 iMac to my M1 Mac mini. I let it run overnight, copying everything over, and started work with my M1 the next morning with no problems.

2 Likes

I might be oldschool, but i always thought a new mac is the perfect ocasion to cleanup your system, might even include reinstalling apps.
the system folder has a lot of caches files for example, apps can get corrupted, plus manually reinstalling is a good way to not reinstall everything, because you don’t need it.
And it’s way better to start with a freshly formated drive.

2 Likes

perfect ocasion to cleanup your system

On Windows, I would agree immediately.
With the black magic , sticky tape and string needed to keep Apple builds working, I’m terrified by the prospect, if I’m honest.

Check your System Report > Applications and see which of your apps are Intel-only. I used Migration Assistant to move from an Intel mini to an M1 mini and used the option to copy everything except applications, which I just reloaded manually, most from the list in the App Store app.

1 Like

You didn’t say which M2 MacBook you were considering. Unless you absolutely have to have a touch pad instead of function keys, the MacBook Air is superior in every way to the MacBook Pro, which is just the old design with a new chip.

Hmm… not the screen. The pro has OLED

But I could now be tempted to get an M1 Air at a discount, actually.
The biggest attractor of the M2 is the MagSafe!
My biggest usage is Xojo - so all those extra cores are wasted on me and the apps I write.

Not really, if you complile alot 64-bit apps will make use of the additional cores when building (compilation). It makes a noticable difference on the M1 (most likely on M2 more).

1 Like

Working with a MacBook Pro M1. Has ample computing power and all it takes for dev works. Get 16GB RAM and at least 500GB SDD. Screen tech does not matter for regular dev work.

Nope, it doesn’t.

Macbook pro 13"

Retina display
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
500 nits brightness
Wide color (P3)
True Tone technology

Macbook air M2

Liquid Retina display
13.6-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology;1
2560-by-1664 native resolution at 224 pixels per inch with
support for 1 billion colors
500 nits brightness
Wide color (P3)
True Tone technology

Comparing these specs, the Macbook air M2 has a slightly better screen than the Macbook pro M2

2 Likes

The MacBook Air M2 is a better machine than the MacBook Pro 13" M2. Except for heavy processing tasks over 10 minutes and 5% extra battery life. But it comes at the cost of a smaller screen, worse web cam, one port less and has the now deprecated TouchBar.

Do not buy the 13" MacBook Pro, use that money to maximize the amount of RAM on a MacBook Air M2, as M1 Macs are RAM hungry.

1 Like

I cannot recommend Migration Assistant at all. Back in 2020 I bought a 16" MacBook Pro and it had a lot of problems, most of it was attributed to Migration Assistant screwing things up.

When I clean installed it, not only did it use less RAM, it was faster to boot and had much better battery life.

When speaking to AppleCare about the problems I had with this machine, a level 2 tech said it’s well known the Migration Assistant has been broken for some time and AppleCare recommend a slow migration when replacing hardware.

The thing is, most my problems were obvious, but a lot of problems are not and many customers don’t even realize that their Mac isn’t operating as it should.

If Apple wasn’t run by a penny pincher, they’d take the time to fix Migration Assistant, hopefully the next CEO will put attention on the products and not just the shareholders.

3 Likes

I’ll be dead when that happens… :ukraine:

1 Like