fonts and deployment

I am putting together a dmg and a msi in order to install my app (desktop).

I want to have my app data folder in my app folder and when the progrm first runs, get my app to take the data folder and put it in application data.
Now, I know how this would be done in windows.

But for Mac…

1. what would be the folder that an app would use as where it stores it’s main stuff? Where would I put this folder so that I can move it to application support folder? I know how to move it in code - do I add it in the IDE?
  2. I have 3 custom fonts for my app - how do I add them into the font list when my app installs?

Cheers,
Sean

[quote=41343:@Sean Clancy]what would be the folder that an app would use as where it stores it’s main stuff? Where would I put this folder so that I can move it to application support folder? I know how to move it in code - do I add it in the IDE?
I have 3 custom fonts for my app - how do I add them into the font list when my app installs?[/quote]

Add a Copy File (Insert/Build Steps) to your project, set the foldername, and add the files to copy.
if you place the folder in resources :
app.executablefile.parent.parent.child(“Resources”).child(“myfolder”)
Then use SourceFile.CopyFileTo(destination) to copy the folder. SourceFile and destination are FoldeItem variables.

Search this forum with “Custom fonts”. You will find ways to use fonts without installing them. To install fonts in the system for use with all applications, you may simply copy the files to /Library/Fonts/

Good luck.

great - I’ll test this out this afternoon!
The reason why is that I want to have my mac package as one file in a .dmg and installers I bought only seem to be happy with one file. This means I would have to include my folder in the app resources rather than the installer automatically placing the extraneous files (i.e. fonts, files in the library/application support/myapp folder).

I’m user appinstaller and a few other things.

Okay - that works. However, the custom fonts have a problem. They don’t seem to install well if I copy them into the font folder. I have checked out the documentation and the posts here about ATF and having custom fonts in the bundle - but also that this will probably throw up an error warning - that’s a showstopper for a professional app.

I wonder what other ways developers here have gotten around installing custom fonts (when I say custom - I mean really, really custom - music design fonts)

What error?

[quote=49536:@Sean Clancy]Okay - that works. However, the custom fonts have a problem. They don’t seem to install well if I copy them into the font folder. I have checked out the documentation and the posts here about ATF and having custom fonts in the bundle - but also that this will probably throw up an error warning - that’s a showstopper for a professional app.

I wonder what other ways developers here have gotten around installing custom fonts (when I say custom - I mean really, really custom - music design fonts)[/quote]

I have a dozen apps in the app store that use such custom fonts, and it does not raise any warning. Where did you get that strange notion ?

You may want to simply try and see before passing judgement. Learn before you state. The methods described are all compliant with Apple recommendations…