Flicker Free apps on Windows

After spending a lot of time trying to master the techniques of creating flicker free apps in windows I’m please with results of this mock-up.

Wouldn’t it be great if Xojo would do this out of the box?

I’ll share my project with the first person to guess how many lines of code and how many declares it took to create this. :wink:

Neil,

I am impressed and this looks great!!! It is my hope that the next updated version of Xojo does this out-of-the-box.

My wild guess is at least 2 declares, and 30 lines of code (assuming flicking a switch is also considered one line of code).

Well done.

Not quite right, but I’ll take guesses from a few more people before revealing the secret.

BTW I’m counting all lines of code including the code for splitters and resizing. Any changes to settings in the IDE/design time are not counted as code.

Edit:

I must say I was quite please with the results myself.

Congrats, it looks great.

Wow that is a very nice looking C# app!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope no C#.

No clue about how many lines of code this might be, but I am really curious to learn HOW you achieved this. I really would like to peak into this code!

My wild guess is a single line of code.

Wow.
This evokes fond memories of building apps with Delphi, where controls could be ‘locked to parent’ and no user-written code was needed to do this at all.

App.FlickerFree = True

JavaFX or Electron on Angular 2/4? If JavaFX, 0 lines of code.

Neil, I wish you shared your project with the community at one point, like did :slight_smile:

That looks sweet!
My guess or wish is that you are using a non-public beta build of the next Xojo version. :slight_smile:

Can’t see anything on this side? Could you share this again?

[quote=352849:@Christoph De Vocht]That looks sweet!
My guess or wish is that you are using a non-public beta build of the next Xojo version. :-)[/quote]

That would be a dream come true.

I must confess I cheated a little.

• Exactly 0 lines of code total. *

The key is WPF.

Here is the project. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pfql5emq461uw5/QBMS%20Test.zip?raw=1

Disclaimer: I didn’t do this to advertise a competing product, or start a war, but rather to show what I mean/expect when I say ‘flicker free’.

I guess this was the closest guess. And since there is no code involved it could just as easily been a C# app.

Here is the link to the GIF. https://www.dropbox.com/s/clv3g9zvi4cek58/Flicker%20Free%20Windows.gif?raw=1

Ooo Neil you tease.

Its nice what you can draw on a canvas/surface :wink:

I wanted to get everyone drooling first… :wink:

That’s exactly what WPF does. And can be verified using a tool like Window Spy from AutoHotKey.

Doing that in Xojo with a canvas would defeat the purpose of using Xojo and would esentially be re-inventing the wheel.

[quote=344335:@Michel Bujardet]… I have developed that kind of interface for my own use, precisely because native controls are so, so tired.

Maybe our basic misunderstanding is that you refuse to put in the work yourself, and want a ready made solution…[/quote]

[quote=344221:@Cho Sing Kum]The Modern Windows UI is not based on .NET. They are XAML controls. The use of C# or VB(.NET) and also C++ and JavaScript is only for the code behind the controls. The use of .NET controls will result in a WindowsForm app which is still Desktop app.

Xojo can implement XAML controls and use the Xojo language to code behind. Or they implement their own equivalent of XAML-based controls.[/quote]

It doesn’t make sense to me for each developer to create his own equivalent of XAML for himself. This is 2017!

Yup, I use Spy++ from Microsoft.

I’m not sure about that, I’ve been considering starting a project that does exactly that when Xojo release its Xojo-developed plugin solution. But I’ll wait to comment or pass judgement until I’ve seen the windows framework updates that are coming.