Finder Style Sourcelist/Sidebar

Is there any/much demand for a finder style SourceList (sidebar)? I have one which is nearing completion which if there is any interest I will make available.

Completely customisable colour schemes, icon sizes, native mac search bar (can be hidden), gradient header, action bar and backcolor or custom colours. Headers and items color customisable. etc etc

look interesting…

The more the merrier. Choices are good.

Yes, I am interested
I’ve worked with FGSourceList
Made by Figa Software, but they stopped the development and is now open source.
(https://bitbucket.org/garrypettet/fgsourcelist)
My problem with FGSourcelist was that you had to double click a menu item to activate it.
As I click in the Finder, 1 click is enough to select/activate that menu item.
I do hope that you are going for the one click option. :wink:

Looks like something I’d put to use.

Yes I have a click event and a double click event for each item. Normally you wouldn’t be able to select the headers but I have a property HeadersSelectable where you can decide if your user can select them. Also with HeadersSelectable = True you will have the Click and DoubleClick event for headers. There is a Show/Hide when you hover over a header item to allow you to collapse the lists. I am adding numbers like in Mail but I am thinking this may be a string so you could enter a string or numbers. I am also pondering Badges which would appear over the Icon but this is a little non-standard so not sure yet.

You get a selected and non-selected icon, rowtag property for each item (I use this for holding a database rowid), each item has a key and a parentkey if it is not a header item. The search bar and action bar can be visible or hidden. Resizeable by dragging from the right or the scrollbar. Background can be gradient (User defined start and end colours) or solid color user defineable. The selection bar shown in blue on my picture above is gradient with user definable colours. The Silver action bar and search bar are gradient with user definable colors.

Still tidying up and finishing off so If anyone has any other minor feature requests please let me know and I will try and incorporate them.

I just realized that Garry Petter was the developer of FGSourcelist and Garry is well known and active on this forum. :wink:
Maybe he can tell us how to implement the one click event in FGSourcelist. :slight_smile:

It does indeed :slight_smile:

Look inside Event SelectedItem(item as FGSoucelistItem)
You can use Item.Tag or other to do you action…

[quote=19589:@Mike Charlesworth]Is there any/much demand for a finder style SourceList (sidebar)? I have one which is nearing completion which if there is any interest I will make available.

Completely customisable colour schemes, icon sizes, native mac search bar (can be hidden), gradient header, action bar and backcolor or custom colours. Headers and items color customisable. etc etc
[/quote]
Just want to say I feel so sorry for you, having to deal with Santander and the Halifax…

[quote=19589:@Mike Charlesworth]Is there any/much demand for a finder style SourceList (sidebar)? I have one which is nearing completion which if there is any interest I will make available.

Completely customisable colour schemes, icon sizes, native mac search bar (can be hidden), gradient header, action bar and backcolor or custom colours. Headers and items color customisable. etc [/quote]
Any progress? :slight_smile:

Looks certainly good. Does it support hierarchical structures?

Not far off. I have been tidying up since Xojo release and making the search bar true cocoa native rather than an imitation. I am exposing more properties also which were private constants so it is really flexible and you can make it look however you want to suit any theme.

At the moment it is simply finder style i.e. you have a HeaderItem which has a number of ListItems. I would guess version 2 will allow heirachical with an unlimited depth although, i believe, Apple advise a maximum depth of 3.

Ha ha - No these are only tests accounts I was using in an app where i have used bbSourceList.

I hope I haven’t spoken too soon with announcing the release of bbSourceList. I simply would like to know if there was any interest if I did get it ready for release. I would anticipate end of august although I may release a beta at the end of July for comment.

I’m very interested in it and I think others are too!

could post a demo ?

Yes I will post a beta over the next couple of weeks.

Just a note to say I have released the MacOsX beta version of my bbSourceList custom control as shown below. Just to note this is a Beta version so any comments and feedback welcome. You can grab a copy at http://www.boxedbyte.com/developer.htm

The control is currently encrypted as it is Beta stage. Once I release version 1, I will be releasing it under 2 licences, control only and control and source code.

I stated above that the search control was native (NSSearchField), for this version it is not, there are a number of reasons for this at the moment.

I have not compiled for Windows and Linux yet but if there is interest I will look at developing this across platform.

The documentation is almost finished but not quite there so I have given a very brief outline on my website until this is uploaded. At the moment, I would suggest dragging onto your window and going through the properties in the inspector window to customise the look and feel. Unfortunatly, the default properties set appeared to be wiped out when I encrypted the class so all the text and back colors are set as black. Ensure you set HasBackGradient to true to have a gradient background. If you need any help, please feedback on here or contact me from the contact page on my website.

Many Thanks