Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed

When I try to run on my M1 Mac Mini, I get this:

I did not know Xojo signed ARM apps. Could it be a remnant of iOS signing ?

I have to build to run afterward. Visibly, although signing fails, it runs just fine.

I sign with App Wrapper, advanced option
“-permissions reset”

Could someone knowledgeable about the Mac building give me an answer about that ?

Is there any setting similar to App Wrapper -permissions reset ?

use "xattr -cr " with the app path to clear those.

I don’t understand. Where should I enter this “app path” ?

Open Terminal
Type "xattr -cr " without quotes, but with space on the end.
Then drop in the app to the terminal window to get path.
Then press return and it will clear all extended attributes.

1 Like

Thank you Christian, but that is simply not possible.

I am talking about running in the IDE, where I have no control whatsoever about the build.

Don’t forget the “Run paused” command.

???

This command only clears one of the 3 things I know that cause this error. Apple do not publish a list either, so there may be more.

I do see this as a problem. If you use an App Wrapper script, it will intervene and sign the debug build (and remove all what it knows that can cause this error), however in my testing, the App Wrapper script is called after Xojo attempts to sign the ARM build.

Perhaps @Greg_O_Lone and I could work together to create a solution whereby Xojo doesn’t attempt this if App Wrapper is going to be doing it for you?

wouldn’t it be better if xojo could build a working debug app on it’s own, without the need of an external app like appwrapper ? think of all the people that don’t want to sell on the app store.

You can try CleanDetritus available on Mac App Store.

Do you have a build script that copies files into the macOS package as it could be complaining about those.

Yes, like an icon and some fonts.

What is strange is that when I build for ARM, Xojo does not complain about detritus.

Only when I run in the IDE. And of course, there is no way to know what exactly is involved.

Indeed. Any script.

For the moment, I build and it runs fine, even before signing with App Wrapper.

I think the IDE has to code sign the debug executables so it could be a bug in the command it is running. I’m not sure if the same code sign step occurs automatically during release builds.

Can you repeat the problem in a new empty project?

1. App Wrapper has supported website distribution since it became a requirement from Apple.
  2. In App Wrapper 4, you can switch between Website and App Store easier thanks to the GUI redesign. Alternatively you can do this from a Xojo IDE script, meaning a project constant can control how your application gets wrapped.
  3. You can download the demo from App Wrapper 4 and try it yourself.
  4. In the summer of 2019, I started to redesign App Wrapper so that the processing engine was much faster, for cases just like this. When you use App Wrapper, you’re getting a full analysis of your app and preparation for code signing. The engine is not only quicker than using the terminal command, it is even more thorough (signing executables that the terminal command may miss).
  5. Different apps have different requirements for code signing, there is no one-size fits all, and a lot to be learned (plenty of which is not documented by Apple).
1 Like

Maybe Xojo is only signing the debug build and not the “build” build?

Which is annoying because there doesn’t appear to be anything to be done to suppress that error message, so to “Run” the app, the error must be clicked away each and every time.

It does adhoc codesign builds too (Universal and AS).

Worse yet, it simply does not run at all once the Msgbox is clicked ;(

The apostrophe ’ and plus symbols (+) in your app’s name would be worrying to me, since that could be triggering a build script error due to improper quoting. Does it work if you rename your app from
CheckPrint’R+
to
CheckPrintR

??