Final Nail in QuickTime Coffin

Ran across this article today: http://www.mactrast.com/2016/04/windows-quicktime-users-urged-uninstall-app-apple-ends-support/

The basic gist is that Apple is not going to update QuickTime for Windows. Security vulnerabilities discovered that Apple won’t fix. Therefore it’s recommended Windows users uninstall QuickTime.

Note that Apple has not said this -Trend Micro is telling use this is what they were told
However, given that iTunes on Windows doesn’t rely on Quicktime any longer I can believe this will occur at some point

We a couple of clients that are using EditableMovie from versions 3 or 4 years old. Are there replacements for it? Possibly via MBS?

you can switch to AVFoundation on Mac.

or start learning things like using ffmpeg in command line.

I need a solution that’s cross-platform (Mac/Win).

ffmpeg IS cross platform.

Okay. Then I need to figure out how to create and manipulate movies via ffmpeg.

Keep in mind FFmpeg is a licensing nightmare: https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

IANAL but … running it from the cmd line should alleviate all those GPL licensing issues since you’re not running in the same address space nor are you linking to it

You have to re-build it to exclude any features licensed under GPL if you’re going to bundle it with proprietary software.
(it takes out useful features)

This is where I hate the GPL
IF you we’re linking in a library etc then yes you would
Its not clear to me that IF you use a GPL’d piece of software via a cmd line interface like this that you would be required to do as you suggest - you WOULD have to make sources available (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#UnchangedJustBinary)

From what I understand;

Using the libavcodec libraries or somehow linking into them is considered different from calling the ffmpeg binary.
If your App uses ffmpeg as an external program, you’re just as fine as your App calls any other binary installed on the user’s computer.

In order to make sure the user has (the right version) of ffmpeg installed, you can:

• Either test if it’s there and if not, give the user instructions on where to download and install it.
  • Bundle it. However, if you Bundle it, you must include the full source code + compile and build instructions for the bundled ffmpeg version.

My university IT just sent out a notice that they are forcibly removing the QuickTime for Windows plugin on all university computers. I expect other IT departments will be doing the same thing…

Yes, many universities and government agencies are removing QuickTime from all their computers, rendering my software useless to them now. I have no idea what to do as my s/w won’t even launch without QuickTime being available on their computers!

If I understand it right, the threat is if someone downloads a QT movie with a virus in it.

[quote=261060:@Patrick Besong]Yes, many universities and government agencies are removing QuickTime from all their computers, rendering my software useless to them now. I have no idea what to do as my s/w won’t even launch without QuickTime being available on their computers!

If I understand it right, the threat is if someone downloads a QT movie with a virus in it.[/quote]

Your not alone in being affect by this, some of Adobe’s Windows software is affected too.

Adobe on QuickTime: You’re up the creek without a paddle

It’s terrible that Apple is still putting the download link out for it. I guess it’s a “use at your own risk” kind of thing and some people have no choice. They are also still selling QuickTime Pro for Windows. They have also built something into the latest download that prevents it from being installed on Windows 10 and people need to use an earlier version to get it at all or use some ridiculous process of installing the parts separately I believe.

I must have scraped in - I installed it last week Tuesday on Win 10 with no issue.

ffmpeg is good for encoding or transcoding movies in many formats, but how is it a replacement for editableMovie? I suppose you could use it to concatenate and split up movies into pieces for knitting back together but Yeesh… what a nightmare that would be. There are truly no windows options for editing a movie like the old editable movie class? I’m familiar enough with the AVFoundation stuff in the MBS plugins now that I know you could re-create most if not all of the important editable movie functionality with it. For capturing video on windows there is the MBS DirectShow plugin but for editing movies I don’t see anything obvious. What would we need to get Christian to wrap into the plugin or Xojo to use as the other backing for a new editable movie class?

If we all listened to all of the “Chicken Little” news that comes out of the popular tech press, many of us would have stopped using computers years ago.

Since the MBS plugin is just wrapper for OS API calls, you’d have to first get Apple to release AVFoundation for Windows. Then Christian could create a plugin around the API.

After doing a bit of research the only thing that’s available, really, is FFmpeg and the licensing sucks. Your app is either open source your project or you have to use FFmpeg via the command line.