Filtering TextField entries for Date

How useful can be a filtered TextField ?

In a project, I have two TexTFields that I use to enter start-end dates. (once again) I had a bad idea: set a mask to them.
####-##-## (stands for YYYY-MM-DD).

But when I paste 2016-02-01 (Start) and 2016-02-01 (end), I had to clear 3 digits (to get 2015-01-01) in the first, five digits in the second (to get 2015-13-31).

NBTW: I set the max # of characters to 10.

Where’s the gain ? Where’s my error (if one) ?

TIA

YYYY-MM-DD is 12 characters.

It’s 10 characters.

That’s what I get for running out of energy drinks.
I guess I’m done helping for the day :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=312689:@Tim Parnell]That’s what I get for running out of energy drinks.
I guess I’m done helping for the day :P[/quote]
thats what you get for drinking energy drinks :slight_smile:

For those that drink Budweiser… and think the horses are just for adverstisment… think again

Back to the alternate reality:

If you set a Mask to a TextField, using LimitText (for this amount of character of more) is useless.

Tim:
your mistake let me try to add your value: 12 characters in the LimitText (Max # of characters) and let me found that this does not make a difference.

Why do I follow your advice ?
Because, maybe, the max # of character is involved in the whole business: there are already 10 characters and selecting two characters would increase the whole # of characters (without seeing the actual code, how can I know), so I tried and it does not change anything.

Xojo limits the number of accepted characters using the Mask value; in my case it was: ####-##-## (10 characters).

Conclusion: do not fill the max number of characters in a field where you set a mask (like ####-##-##).