Feedback black hole

Hey @Jason Parsley - Sorry for the ranty tone of this, but I perused this thread this morning in conjunction with seeing the latest alpha available, and hopped into Feedback to see which of my most recent cases have been adjusted - only to discover that several have had extra information added to them or been closed but I was never notified via email.

So: 2 issues this raises for me:

First: it seems that the notification system from Feedback is … flaky at best. Is there something I need to do to ensure I actually receive email updates when someone makes a change to a a case I’ve either opened or am participating in?

Secondly: Sometimes I’ll submit an update to a case that was previously marked as fixed and closed, because it still is not working correctly. It is frustrating to get a response asking me to open a new feedback case … I already went through the trouble of creating a sample project that demonstrates the issue and recording a screencast to demonstrate the issue in action with commentary … why do I have to go open a new case now? I’ve already provided all the info that is needed to Xojo to track down and fix the issue… Is it so difficult for the Xojo employee to take that info and open a new case? Dumping it back to me (with poor notification processes) seems like a cop-out.

See: <https://xojo.com/issue/50846>

Feedback is all well and good, but sometimes Xojo’s attitude really does seem to want to shovel as much of the debugging work onto the users as possible.

@Jason Parsley: would you - pretty please - tell us how we are supposed to get more information about the “pthread kill” issue?

For notification - that does happen from time to time but I don’t know why. If we can figure it out, we’ll fix it.

On case 50846 - We asked that you open a new case because it appears to be a different issue. Norman created case <https://xojo.com/issue/52453> for the second issue.

Thank you and Norman for opening a new case - but you seem to be missing the point: From my perspective (and, I suspect, many other of your testers) once I have reported an issue (either by updating an existing case or creating a new case, etc) I should be done. If you need more information, fine, but to come back to me to ask me to spend more time and effort to essentially re-report what I’ve already done just feels like you are wasting my time. I’m already donating it to provide comprehensive reports with examples. Don’t make me re-do work.

In short: if a new case needs to be opened, then Xojo staff should open it. Don’t dump it back on the reporting user - that’s not their job, and, frankly, I have much more important things to do with my time than to re-file bug reports.

In the case of this specific report, the issue I reported was extremely similar to (and in my opinion, a regression of) the one that I updated, thus the reason I didn’t open a new case in the first place.

Yeah I understand what you are saying, and we don’t want to cause you more work. We do split up cases ourselves from time to time and we’ll evaluate improving our criteria of doing that using this as an example, to avoid asking the end user to do so quite as often.

[quote=392005:@Hal Gumbert]When I change the order of ‘My Top Cases’ like swapping my #4 to #3 it’ll occasionally swap one and leave the other blank. It doesn’t do it all the time…

Has anyone else seen that issue?[/quote]
Yes. Quite often.

They should know. I logged a feedback case about it and there was some correspondence with a Xojo employee. Apologies, but I don’t know the case number and I only have access to my phone at the moment so cannot look it up.

The Feedback cases mentioned here weren’t opened. There still was no progress whatsoever with the problem.

[quote]User “Norman Palardy” has updated case #50081.

The following comments were left:

In the last 6 days I’ve been through every attached crash report looking for ways to reproduce the crashes reported
I haven’t found any means to do so from the crash reports or the notes attached
The case remains closed as “unreproducible”[/quote]

No comment.

So, in summary:

• if the IDE crashes, and you choose to spend time to submit a report, it may automatically get appended to a closed case

• this will not automatically reopen the closed case, as you will have expected. If you want the case reopened, so that someone looks at the information you just submitted, don’t spend time trying to do it in Feedback as the popupmenu is broken. Instead, spend more of your time by emailing jason@xojo.com with the request

• despite there being an actual issue with the IDE crashing, an engineer may decide to not reopen the case if they can’t figure out what’s wrong in x number of days

Feedback and lengthy, detailed feedback about Feedback are black holes.