Feedback App Update %$&§!

I click on a feedback link in the forum to read the report.

Feedback app starts and tells me there is an update available.

I click on install update.

It downloads and tells me that it couldn’t update it but I can download it manually.

I download it manually from the Xojo website and install it by dragging it into my app folder.

It replaces my old feedback app. [my bad]

I try to start feedback app.

IT DOESN’T BLOODY RUN ON MY SYSTEM! [MacOS X 10.6.8]

Thanks a million.

I can’t find the older versions of feedback on the Xojo website.

Anyone knows where they are?

And two points:

1. the feedback update mechanism needs to be smarter. It needs to check what system is running, and depending on the system recommend the right update and download that.

2. how about some words of warning about system requirements?

I just started Xojo 2013 R3.2 on another computer running MacOS X 10.6.8 and there too I’m offered to install Xojo 2014r1 even though it doesn’t run on this system.

This really isn’t looking very professional.

Maybe they don’t want your feedback? :X

As I understand it you have to run the latest IDE to GIVE feedback, but you should be able to READ feedback even when you use an older version.

Btw I also have Mavericks on my Mac and Xojo 2014r1 (license till 2017) but it is not my primary system.

P.S. Original error when I tried to install was “resource is busy” so I thought the dmg was corrupted. That’s when I went to manual download.

[quote=72322:@Markus Winter]I try to start feedback app.
IT DOESN’T BLOODY RUN ON MY SYSTEM! [MacOS X 10.6.8][/quote]

I have exact the same problem and the same errors. But I’m on OS X 10.9!
I wrote no feedback about this :stuck_out_tongue:

Well even if the update mechanism was smarter, it wouldn’t change anything. All installs of Feedback are required to be the latest, so if you don’t update, you don’t get in anyway.

WHAT???

How dumb is that?

So if you are not running the latest feedback version you can’t use feedback even to read???

And you need MacOS 10.7 minimum to run Feedback? Why!

Feedback is an important instrument to check for bugs and workarounds, even for those who use older versions. It has never been a well-written app, but this really takes the biscuit. There is absolutely no reason to build feedback with the latest Xojo and restrict the users to 10.7 and above.

Has Xojo completely lost it!?

Two reasons:

1. Because it is a server-based application, the API only needs to be backwards compatible during the login phase. After that, the API can effectively evolve as necessary without worrying about what older versions will do.
  2. To make sure all users “on the same page” with regards to features and behaviors.

[quote=72346:@Markus Winter]And you need MacOS 10.7 minimum to run Feedback? Why!
[/quote]

They’ve addressed this from both engineering and marketing perspectives extensively. Have you tried the search bar at the top right of the main forum page?

[quote=72346:@Markus Winter]And you need MacOS 10.7 minimum to run Feedback? Why!
Feedback is an important instrument to check for bugs and workarounds, even for those who use older versions. It has never been a well-written app, but this really takes the biscuit. There is absolutely no reason to build feedback with the latest Xojo and restrict the users to 10.7 and above.[/quote]
First of all, we did not compile with 2013r4 just to remove 10.6 compatibility. There were a number of changes & fixes that we needed for this release, so using an older IDE for building was not an option.

Secondly, Feedback is an excellent example of an application which:
0. Is built with Xojo
0. Has widespread use
0. Is compiled for Mac, Windows & Linux
Users (and potential users) are always telling us that we should use the Xojo IDE for projects to help us get a better understanding of bugs in the IDE itself, so unless there is a major flaw in the latest released IDE, it is not to our advantage to build with an older one.

Lastly, since there’s currently no way to run Feedback in a read-only mode, having it run on 10.6 means that users could potentially be reporting bugs against a platform that is no longer supported.

I certainly hope not.

How about a web-based way for those without access to the latest Feedback app to at least be able to view feedback cases? I don’t know much about anything, but it seems that if there is an API that the feedback desktop app talks to, a webapp could be made to do similar things…

Sounds like a job for Xojo Cloud. :slight_smile:

there’s a couple things holding that back

1. time
  2. time
    We all have limited amounts of it and it’s pretty devoted to other things
    Not impossible but there are things about the API that need to change before we devote time to creating such a thing so we can improve the overall experience like in this case where the update mechanism told markus to update when the update really should not have been eligible because of the OS version he is running.

OSX 10.9.2 on Retina Macbook Pro:

This is something that would be more practical if the links were different. There currently are http-based Feedback links, but they don’t get used because of the browser middleman. For example, if you click a link in Mail, your browser would launch to a blank page, then launch Feedback. So passing around these http-based links didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

But for any web-based Feedback, they’ll need to be used. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

After being stung a couple of times when having Feedback update itself I have resorted to the following. When a new version of Xojo is announced I go to the Xojo website and download the new version of Xojo and also the Feedback app. I figure that if there are any dependencies between the two I am covered this way. Since going this route I have had no problems with the installation or launching of the Feedback app. Likewise, if Feedback tells me there is a new version outside of the announcement of a new version of Xojo, I quit Feedback, go to the Xojo website and download Feedback. Again, going this route I have had no problems. Seems the problems are with Feedback trying to update itself.

Yes, like this the install works.

This won’t be an issue if Feedback is converted to a web app, right? The existing links would simply take you to the right page on the app.

Among the advantages:

• Xojo could use it to show off Xojo Web Apps.
  • They can use it to show off and test Xojo Cloud.
  • No more update issues.
  • Fewer OS compatibility issues.
  • Easier to update and maintain.

Replaced with more browser compatibility issues :stuck_out_tongue: