Feedback App on Linux (LinuxMint 13 x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64)

Hello @Xojo-Team,

I work on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) x64 (based on Ubuntu 12.04) have the Latest Kernel (3.8.0-35) installed all “ia32-libs” for 32-Bit compatibility. libwebkitkgt-1.0.0 is installed ( Version 1.8.3) but when i install the Feedback.deb it say libwebkitgtk-1.0.0 (>=1.0.0) is missing. It won’t install. - I tryed to force it with the dpkg switch --force-all, it will Install but Feedback won’t start.

Is there an Update planed for Feedback so it will be installable on Ubuntu 12.04 (Linux Mint 13) x64.

Best Regards from Germany,

R. Landscheidt

You will need to install the 32-bit library.

I’m running 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and the ia32 libraries do not include libwebkitgtk. I tried to force the 32-bit library to install and discovered that will auto-remove a ton of the 64-bit utilities. I’m still trying put everything back. Is there any chance of getting a compatible Feedback app?

For the short term I’d recommend a Ubuntu 32bit or Linux Mint 32bit virtual machine in VirtualBox (free!) and then get the Feedback program running in that. That’s exactly how I’m getting my feedback system running. I’m even developing inside the LinuxMint VM. It performs better in the VM than Ubuntu 64bit does.

Not really no
Feedback uses & requires those 32 bit libraries - we don’t have a way to remove that requirement

Why did you need to “force” the load. All most of us do is:

sudo yum install ia32-libs-multiarch

This doesn’t try to remove any 64bit components, but rather adds the 32bit support that you need.

Is that what you tried?

[quote=83422:@Tim Jones]Why did you need to “force” the load. All most of us do is:

sudo yum install ia32-libs-multiarch

This doesn’t try to remove any 64bit components, but rather adds the 32bit support that you need.

Is that what you tried?[/quote]

Been there, done that. That was the first try. but ‘libwebkitgtk’ is not included in Ubuntu’s 12.04 ia32 support package.
I found the 32-bit package, and tried to force install that, but it broke a LOT of 64-bit packages.

I’m leaning toward this method for development as well.
I’ve got a WinXP VM on the machine, what’s another VM?

[quote=83552:@John A Knight, Jr]I’m leaning toward this method for development as well.
I’ve got a WinXP VM on the machine, what’s another VM?[/quote]
Than you say this one too often and the next thing you know you have a couple TB of space dedicated to VM’s (I now have 13 and I’m sure Paul has many more) :stuck_out_tongue:

Imho, use any 32bit Linux (Ubuntu and Mint here) version to develop stuff in, avoid all those 64bit versions for the moment. Too many ‘features not working 100%’ there. Oh yes, i know … there are workarounds, adjustments etc. to get to a working 64bit system, but it’s not worth the hassle and with next upgrade or system update this’d be gone.

Stay on 32bit linux systems to develop apps for 32bit and 64bit (remote running/debugging is your friend) and still there’s some stuff not working correct (HTMLViewer hint hint). Let’s hope for upcoming compiler changes and 64bit should be a piece of cake.

Ubuntu already dropped 32bit for servers. So, “avoiding” using 64bit options as a target is not an option anymore. :expressionless:

since version 14.04 it is, sadly. But new compiler is coming soon™. :wink:

33 VMs at the moment.

Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS is available in both 64-bit and 32-bit flavors:

Not soon enough for Xojo Apps targeting 64-bit Linux. :frowning:

Yeah, seems that they didn’t abandon yet, just discouraging the 32 bit use (for now) hiding it in the basement. :slight_smile: