Feedback 2018r1

Right. This leads to the question what is the actual bug: the active menu or the disabled button?

so do i

I’m confused. I used Newest Cases to see what my fellow developers were reporting. This was useful and interesting, especially during betas. I never thought that Newest Cases were Xojo’s “work list” or “order of operations”. Why would I?

Why take this away from us? The only upshot for Xojo Inc is that we don’t see how many bugs are being reported but surely that isn’t the reason?

I too fail to understand why newest cases was taken away. I am struggling also with the reasons provided for the change.

I feel a gap, a distance growing between Xojo and the users. This is not a comfortable feeling. It is not just because of this, but also little things that happened over the last few months.

Is it just my imagination?

[quote=414302:@Christian Schmitz]I made feedback cases:

Feedback Case #54100 - Bring back Recently Active panel in Feedback
Feedback Case #54101 - Bring back Newest Cases panel in Feedback[/quote]

And they have been closed right away. I feel like Xojo just don’t care anymore. Looks like they like to “waste” time by explaining terrible decisions more, then fixing bugs lately…

Very bad move by Xojo… I regularly look at those areas as it helps me avoid issues and/or find workarounds for them without the pain of stumbling over them myself … and this IMO is a BIG mistake

For feature request it lets me see what other are thinking and let’s me add something if it occurs to me.

Basically it seem they don’t what us to know what common problems are unless we spend a lot of time to trip over them ourselves and spend a lot of time to figure out if the problem is our code or a Xojo bug…

Xojo has been shooting itself in the foot a lot since the change from REAL to Xojo it seems to me… and asa long time customer (RB3) this is another thing that lessens my enthusiasm about Xojo the product as well as the company.

These areas were really the only way for us to know how much Xojo is listening to our collective voices … Why do they not want us to know that?

They HAD to know up front that this move would be seen as a negative (I mean how could they not - less information never makes people happy!) … and did it anyway.

The openness REALSoftware had generated a lot of customer loyalty but is going away more and more… and with that feelings of customer loyalty.

• karen

One more big don’t like from me!

I wanted to add what @Gavin Smith has been able to add to Feedback, too… Gavin, you’ve taken the words out of my mouth!

It has saved me hours, knowing what other have found in a new public release… and many times, a workaround was mentioned.
And by occasionally just reading the “topics”, I’ve been aware and prepared for things I might not have needed right then - but once I did, I knew where and what to look for.

Then please make a big fat, red and blinking label above the list, and explain what it is, and what it isn’t. I’d love to see the explanation always right there - if that’s what is needed to get this back!

Maybe something like:
Top: reports that have been assigned the most points. some are what you’d love to see, but won’t get soon or at all.
Newest: newest added reports. doesn’t mean we work the list from top-down.
Recently active: reports that have been added public or internal notes. doesn’t mean we’re actively working on it. maybe just adding ideas.

I don’t know of any other other worthy Feedback System that does NOT show recent activity and newest cases.

And i REALLY need to think 3 times in a row “calm down” before each word i write right now, to not start ranting more. :frowning:

Bad policy change, Xojo. Do you want us to stop using Feedback altogether?

This reminds me of Apple’s policy of keeping RADAR bugs hidden - which led to poeople making a shadow public bug tracker: https://openradar.appspot.com/page/1

I made the decision to stop reporting issues. I do not need an isle with my reports in which Xojo devs. tell me over and over again my cases will be closed within 10 days or won’t be fixed anyway. I will report again when we have Newest and Recent back.

Oh man… i just can’t believe… i need to go to bed… gn8 :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Totally agree with the sentiments in this thread. I so no good reason for these changes other than to make the process opaque to those that care enough in the first place to look.

And we can’t even add more information or request to re-open it…!

@Geoff Perlman has closed them with that comment:

So, sorry @Geoff Perlman … that I had to add a new feature request.for this. I know this is causing even more work for you, as you need to read and think about it once more. And you may close it, too. But I hope many others will then add exactly the same feature request over and over again.

Just explain it… please. And bring the lists back.

What about if we analyze Geoff words:

I see 2 parts:

• so many people misinterpret this information
  • creates a lot of extra work

If we can define “so many people” and “lot of extra work” maybe we can find an option.

Edit: Maybe I was part of the problem, by commenting on Feedback (trying to help in some cases and helping in others) maybe they receive notifications each time and that adds up to the work load?

You need to go to Case - Add Information. It looks like a disabled button bug.

I wonder if that really means he thinks it makes Xojo inc look bad…

• karen

Here’s a strange thing I get recently with Feedback:

I made a report,
I get comments,
I cannot access to my report,
I continue to get reports…

So, the bug happens to exists (unfortunately), for others (only once here, then no more for me)…

I reported them again, too.

The “best” thing is, you do not even find 1 report when you search for “Bring back Newest Cases panel in Feedback” for example. Can’t even laugh about it :confused:

I fail to see how not being able to see newest cases will reduce the workload. On the contrary, there is an even greater likelyhood that cases will be submitted in multiple copies, resulting in even more wasted time for engineers that need to open and analyse each one. I for one was using newest cases to quickly see whether someone else reported my bug - which, most of the time, was the case. That is so many cases that I did not submit because someone else did before me.

Searching with keywords does not work very well. It does not seem that I describe things the same way others do, but seeing other titles, I can understand that we are talking about the same thing with different words.

Of course, we don’t need to understand or be fully appraised on the reasons underlying the decision, it is entirely the prerogative of the owner to make such decisions. However from this point of view and with the (precious little) available information, it definitely looks like a misguided decision at the very least.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

That shocked me more than anything else. Given how much Hal gives to the community you’d think Xojo would do its utmost to squash the bugs he encounters (HA! There‘s a priority list for you right there!) but instead he has to move to another language