Even Apple is Supporting Android Now

I was more thinking about if you can hook up a keyboard and some pointing device to it, it could easily replace millions of PCs that are doing menial tasks, take a hospital for instance. Here in Taiwan, the medical systems are web based (the ones that I’ve seen anyway). Yet each doctor has a PC on their desk, simply to run a web browser and interact with their web based system. Many of them also carry tablets on themselves, to access the same system. The nurses trolleys are outfitted with a PC, accessing the same system.

If it’s web based, the desktop PC could be replaced by a cheap AppleTV with a TV screen, instead of pricer desktop machines and computer displays.

Or if a young person has a TV, with say a PS4 hooked up to, they can also hook up an Apple TV and work on their school/college/uni work, which is also present on their phones (but with a bigger screen).

Ironically, watching TV is the last thing I see the new AppleTV for…

This is just my opinion on why I think the new AppleTV could be a big hit for Apple and why I think it’s a viable target.

[quote=224127:@Sam Rowlands]I was more thinking about if you can hook up a keyboard and some pointing device to it, it could easily replace millions of PCs that are doing menial tasks, take a hospital for instance. Here in Taiwan, the medical systems are web based (the ones that I’ve seen anyway). Yet each doctor has a PC on their desk, simply to run a web browser and interact with their web based system. Many of them also carry tablets on themselves, to access the same system. The nurses trolleys are outfitted with a PC, accessing the same system.

If it’s web based, the desktop PC could be replaced by a cheap AppleTV with a TV screen, instead of pricer desktop machines and computer displays.

Or if a young person has a TV, with say a PS4 hooked up to, they can also hook up an Apple TV and work on their school/college/uni work, which is also present on their phones (but with a bigger screen).

Ironically, watching TV is the last thing I see the new AppleTV for…

This is just my opinion on why I think the new AppleTV could be a big hit for Apple and why I think it’s a viable target.[/quote]

You are right. Full fledged PCs are just as endangered a species for these tasks as were modular hi-fi systems back in the seventies.

However, Apple TV is not marketed for that culture. And Apple has always been notoriously gauche on the corporate market. I would not be surprised at all to see more things like Asian made 13 or 15" tablets with good keyboard in that role. Or even tablets connected to TVs through HDMI, as a lot of Android ones are able to.

I long for the days when we as a family had only one TV-set, we all watched the same program and discussed and had fun about it.
Conservative ? I don’t think so since the quality of living and attention for each other has not been improved with 6 tablets, 3 flatscreens and I don’t know how many phones beeping and yelling for attention.

I know we’re way off-topic now but I can’t help agreeing with you. I think we are surrounded by these wonderful devices but I’m not sure we’ve learned how to use them for our maximum benefit yet.

I like this little video on the subject, apologies if I’ve posted this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

Facebook and twitter and all those apps to help keep you “connected to your friends and family”
All they do is let you think you’re connected - to people you’ve maybe never met, folks you met once on the beach in Cancun and “OMG! We HAVE to be friends on Facebook”
And “Wow gee look at all the friends I have!”
Can you go for a drink with them ? Mostly not.
Talk to them face to face over dinner ? Mostly not

Yeah - lemmee jump right on that social media thing

Norm “the curmudgeon” :slight_smile:

@NormP

I have coworkers that ask me if I’m on Facebook so we can be friends and I just say…“Really? we see each other 5 days out of the week!!” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=224220:@brian franco]@NormP

I have coworkers that ask me if I’m on Facebook so we can be friends and I just say…“Really? we see each other 5 days out of the week!!” :P[/quote]

Ah but thats not “real” or something :slight_smile:

[quote=224207:@Joost Rongen]I long for the days when we as a family had only one TV-set, we all watched the same program and discussed and had fun about it.
Conservative ? I don’t think so since the quality of living and attention for each other has not been improved with 6 tablets, 3 flatscreens and I don’t know how many phones beeping and yelling for attention.[/quote]

I am old enough to have lived that time, and young enough actually remember them. It was a horrible time, where my dad decided mostly what to watch, which was mostly news related, not that there was really anything else to watch. We have it so much better now.

I still don’t understand why xojo doesn’t support Android. It really can’t be that hard, but I really have no idea.

Back to the future days…

My parents did not want to have a TV until I was 8 or so. Then came the obnoxious black and white screen, with the choice of any channel, as long as it was the boring government managed dreadful mixture.

Sorry, I have little taste for #wasbetterbefore. I spent my adolescence longing for a more modern France than what we had to endure. In particular, I used to dream about visiophones and the age of Aquarius. I am not going to complaint when I routinely converse in the street with my soon over IMO in full color and video. And even less when I need to research something and do not have to deal with some gruffy cleric or unpleasant bookshop keeper who plays me like an idiot.

The future I dreamt of may not be entirely here, but I like what we have.

It is solid first in Feedback, just like iOS was before.

I don’t think it is simple, but it is mighty crucial on the market. Now, I know engineers days only have 24 hours, just like mine :stuck_out_tongue: