Error message when starting 2016r3

I am getting the following error message when I load a project on my office iMAC using 2016r3 but when I load the same project on my MacBook Pro at home using the same version it loads fine. I can’t yet upgrade to r4 due to an issue with ImageMBS and r4 but when I do load it into r4 for testing I don’t get the error message. Anyone else seen this issue or have any idea what the problem might be.

Are you using 3rd party plugins that you might have installed on one machine and not the other?

I have checked and I have the same plugins on both machines. I do have lots of image icons in the software do you think it could be that one of them is on one machine but not the other? I though Xojo normally reports this. The source, images etc are all held in a dropbox account and I have checked the number of files is the same on both machines for the source folder and sub folders.

try copying all the files out of dropbox, then opening that copy and see if the issue still presists.

dropbox is not a good place to work out of with Xojo. (my opinion)

Ok I will give that a try when I get into the office tomorrow morning, thanks. Out of interest, how do you work on a project in different locations on different machines, as dropbox has always worked for me in the past and never had any issues.

Version control!

@Nathan Wright I use git (which is version control). Then I sync the git repo (where my source code is & any related files) with a centralized repo (GitHub or BitBucket - could be your own server). then first thing I do before work is sync my machine with the centralized repo to make sure I have the latest code.

now if you follow the method of:

• write a new method/function/class/etc
  • test to make sure it works
  • update git (commit the code to the git repo)
  • repeat for the next item

you will not only have the code protected (by git) so you can reverse your edits if you broken something accidentally. You then can also push to the centralized repo after you make the commit, that way you have an offsite backup always.

things like dropbox, onedrive, o-drive, amazon clouddrive, google drive, etc, they wont guarantee all the files at a given time are synced to the cloud. they will sync the ones that they know has changed. I have had corrupted files before in those due to the sync engines. In my day job I am a “storage expert” (per my business card) for a $2B computer VAR. I hear issues with the “cloud drives” or “cloud folders” not syncing properly all day long. Those systems are great for certain types of files (like I have all my eBooks, & photos) in the clouds (I use multiple services). Source code is not the right type of files. use version control and sync to an off site server.

thanks
sb

[quote=305892:@scott boss]@Nathan Wright I use git (which is version control). Then I sync the git repo (where my source code is & any related files) with a centralized repo (GitHub or BitBucket - could be your own server). then first thing I do before work is sync my machine with the centralized repo to make sure I have the latest code.

now if you follow the method of:

• write a new method/function/class/etc
  • test to make sure it works
  • update git (commit the code to the git repo)
  • repeat for the next item

you will not only have the code protected (by git) so you can reverse your edits if you broken something accidentally. You then can also push to the centralized repo after you make the commit, that way you have an offsite backup always.

things like dropbox, onedrive, o-drive, amazon clouddrive, google drive, etc, they wont guarantee all the files at a given time are synced to the cloud. they will sync the ones that they know has changed. I have had corrupted files before in those due to the sync engines. In my day job I am a “storage expert” (per my business card) for a $2B computer VAR. I hear issues with the “cloud drives” or “cloud folders” not syncing properly all day long. Those systems are great for certain types of files (like I have all my eBooks, & photos) in the clouds (I use multiple services). Source code is not the right type of files. use version control and sync to an off site server.

thanks
sb[/quote]
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the explanation, I didn’t realise that dropbox worked that way. I guess I am going to have to get my head around version control, I have not used VC for many many years, well before the internet!!! Have I seen somewhere a document of the best way to set up git and GitHub etc with Xojo somewhere or have I imagined this as I remember looking at doing it a couple of years back and gave up as it looked very complicated?

Cheers

Nathan

I find that if you’re very used to the Dropbox paradigm that Subversion + Versions (Mac) is the easiest transition.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around Git and Tower - I’m a huge fan of how much like Finder that Versions behaves.

[quote=305919:@Tim Parnell]I find that if you’re very used to the Dropbox paradigm that Subversion + Versions (Mac) is the easiest transition.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around Git and Tower - I’m a huge fan of how much like Finder that Versions behaves.[/quote]

I have just had a look at Versions and can see why you like the visual side of things on a Mac. It looks nice and simple to me. One question, do you use a hosted Subversion or run it yourself as the only Linux server I have is a 1701software that I will be using for Xojo web apps in future. I looked at Assembla but it will cost me $48 for the smallest licence of 5 users and it is only me who will be using it on two devices.

I don’t know how, it must have been a time limited offer or something, but I’m on some kind of free plan at Assembla.

I was looking at installing the java run scm-manager https://bitbucket.org/sdorra/scm-manager/wiki/Home on a DigitalOcean Dropplet, but I didn’t get around to experimenting with minimum requirements and decided not to bump my bill yet.

I bet Phillip can help you with getting scm-manager running on 1701.

Thanks for the help, I will drop Phillip an email and see what he says.