Embedding file names in Linux Shell Command

Hi:

I am using ghostscript to merge a list of pdf files into one file. I have some code similar to the following:

for a = 0 to listbox1.rowcount-1

s.execute ("gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf   trim(listbox1.list(a)) + .pdf")

next a

The list of files I would like to merge into done.pdf is in listbox1. This code does not work, of course. How do you embed a variable into a shell command?

Thanks.

You concatenate a string in Xojo like this:

dim s as string = "prefix " + someStringVar + " suffix"

Kem:

In my code:

dim s as shell
s.execute

I was just giving you an example of how to concatenate a string in Xojo and just picked “s” arbitrarily as the variable name. Isn’t that what you were looking for?

Kem:

I tried that and it didn’t work.

Kem:

For example:

s.execute (“gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf” + trim(listbox1.list(a)) + “.pdf”)

[quote=199486:@Stuart Travis]
s.execute (“gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf” + trim(listbox1.list(a)) + “.pdf”)[/quote]

That looks like it should work for you. Does it not?

Jeffry:

That code does not work.

Well there is the space after the done.pdf and the quotation mark that needs to be added.

s.execute("gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf " + trim(listbox1.list(a)) + ".pdf")

I’m not sure entirely if that’s it, but it looks like a culprit if its in the code in your program.

Jeffry:

That is a typo that does not exist in my code. Good catch though. I simplified my code for presentation purposes.

@Stuart Travis

I figured as much with the code. Can we try a different route and get a look at the exact command line presentation with this code and the error if any:

Dim cmd as String for a = 0 to listbox1.rowcount-1 cmd="gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf "+ trim(listbox1.list(a)) + .pdf" msgbox "Cmd: " + cmd s.execute(cmd) If s.errorcode=0 Then msgbox "Complete: " + s.result Else msgbox "Error: " + str(s.errorcode) End If next a

It’s worth noting that if your file names have spaces in them, you either need to enclose team in quotes or escape them…

[code]cmd=“gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf “”” + trim(listbox1.list(a)) + .pdf"""

cmd=“gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=done.pdf " + trim(listbox1.list(a)).ReplaceAll(” “,”\ “) + .pdf”[/code]