EmailMessage attachment filename

I want to use EmailMessage class to handle emails received by setting the source property with the raw data. However I can’t see a way to get the attachment filenames from the attachment array. Any ideas?

Xojo’s email capabilities are very very simple. The Chilkat plugin can handle simple emails. The only commercial solution for parsing every complex email in Xojo is mine.

i see only a name property in EmailAttachment

Maybe better check the EmailParser classes in MBS Xojo CURL Plugin?

The constructor for MimeEmailMBS class takes the source/file for the email and then parses it.
You can use MimeAttachmentMBS class to get the attachments.

My mistake. I misread the docos as EmailMessage.Attachments being the whole thing but by clicking on EmailAttachments() (plural) counter-intuitively is not recursive but leads to more in EmailAttachment (singular)…

Thanks Christian, what is the advantage of the MBS over the inbuilt Xojo class for this use case?

Like the Chilkat plugin the CURL part of the MBS plugin can parse simple emails. Parsing the tree structure of an email isn’t that hard. But attachments have a wonderful complex structure as below:

Content-Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;
name0="=?UTF-8?B?MjAxNi4xXi4xMiBBdHRhY2htZW50IDMgdG8gU3VwcGxlbWVudCAxIG";
name
1=“9mIEZy?= =?UTF-8?B?YW2lIENvbnRyYWN0IEFUTEFTIEJHLUNSSVBUKNCR0L7Qu”;
name*2=“9Cz0LDRgNC40Y8p?= =?UTF-8?B?LXJ1cy5kb2N4?=”

Both the CURL and the Chilkat plugins can’t handle this type of data.

Thanks Beatrix, doesn’t the native Xojo object handle multiple attachments or not multiples under a single content type?

Xojo’s class handles probably 98% of all emails.
99% in our plugin.

And Beatrix has a special software which needs to handle 100%, so she handles a couple of edge cases more.

[quote]Xojo’s class handles probably 98% of all emails.
99% in our plugin.
And Beatrix has a special software which needs to handle 100%, so she handles a couple of edge cases more.[/quote]

All I need for now is to handle a csv or JSON file attachment, and an html file attachment. There are no multiple of the same type at this time. The xojo class will have no problems with this?

We can’t tell you the answer. Try it!

The app is going to be customer-facing so I can’t try everything people might throw at it
Is there any guidance as to what parts of the RFC/s it doesn’t support?

The problem aren’t so much the RFCs but many clever developers who can’t read. I have a “cabinet of horrors” of emails where I made my code handle all the problems. Take your emails and let your code handle them. Then you see how much of a problem you have.

I love standards
There are so many to choose from :slight_smile: