Email Client

How difficult is to implement the use of an email client that is already Installed ? I looked Xojo docs and found pop/ smtp, but not sure how to use an account that would be already there. Let’s say an enterprise Outlook or Notes email.

The SMTP/POP3 sockets are used to interact with a remote mail server rather than with a client running on the same system. You might look into using the MS Office Automation features of Xojo, but I don’t know if Outlook is one of the Office applications that are supported.

You can use ShowURL to show a mailto: url. That opens the default mail client and populates a new message.

A full email client like Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird is a lot of work. I do an email archiving solution, which is about half an email client.

Thank you all.

Tim, if I follow your suggestion, can I populate the email with a standard text body that I plan to use?

it is easy to do via Applescript as well if you are OSX only

[quote=22574:@EDGARD LANDWEHRKAMP]Thank you all.

Tim, if I follow your suggestion, can I populate the email with a standard text body that I plan to use?[/quote]

Yes, you can use parameters such as:

mailto:john@doe.com?subject=Hello%20World&body=Howdy

There are many others you can search the web for and that should be cross platform, as long as the user is using a compliant mail program.

Most email clients I know of support this syntax:

mailto:UserName@ServerName.com?Subject=Message Subject&body=Dear Bob, how are you?

[quote=22590:@Andrew L.]Most email clients I know of support this syntax:

mailto:UserName@ServerName.com?Subject=Message Subject&body=Dear Bob, how are you?

I believe you should use EncodeURLComponent on each parameter you use in the mailto: link?

Yes you should.