El Capitan Crash at simple window display time

I just have two crash in a row in the same application.

The application is HTMLViewer based and display a full screen (or not) display.

To do that, I had to add many small (and simple) windows to access to other stuff like Bookmarks, History, URL…

The crash appears at time to display the URL window:

a. it is displayed as full screen (in El Capitan, but not in Yosemite),

b. The whole window is displayed correctly, but the crash “appears” before the TextArea (certainly TextField ?) contents appears.

I display the current URL (in that Control) and highlight the part of the URL that is after &dat (so in fact I highlight the date).
[No, this is not a Webxxxyyyzz project, a simple Desktop one].

This project was in a hard disk that was totally erased (and not just deleted) on last Sept-15-15. So I do not really know where the last available (to me) version of the project can be even if I located two (Same ? Different ? Old ?).

I do not have them handly.

Do you have an idea on where to search ? If this is something known ?

BTW: the search date (&dat) in the URL is certainly done “à l’ancienne”: InStr (and not RegEx).

I nearly forgot:
El Capitan .2 (Standard)
Xojo 2015r1 (Standard)

More checkings leads me to:

no preferences were saved,
the URL window appears in “not full screen mode”…

If I stay in the Standard mode (not in full screen), I can do what I want.

In Full Screen mode, opening the URL window leads to a crash.
Opening the URL window in standard mode display it correctly (using its defined size / location AND display the URL with the &dat fiels highlighted as I set it / works in Yosemite).

1. Don’t load the html into the html viewer in a thread.
  2. Show us the codez. With html example preferably.
  3. Post the crash log.

Hi Beatrix,
thansk for your answer.

1: I do not use one,
2: I do not have it handly. What html example ? *
3: How do I do that ?
Oh, you meant that ?

Process: Simple Browser [517]
Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/Simple Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Simple Browser
Identifier: com.earsproductions.simplebrowser
Version: ??? (1.0.0.0.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Simple Browser [517]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2016-01-02 10:18:03.698 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.2 (15C50)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 8656A494-A5C1-4F37-A37A-A61707C0D18D

Time Awake Since Boot: 4600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000004c
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x4c:
–>
__TEXT 0000000000001000-0000000000180000 [ 1532K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Volumes/VOLUME/*/Simple Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Simple Browser

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(performClick:) from sender XOJButton 0x10f1be0

<skipped 'cause it is too large for the post>

That would be the interesting part. In an OS X crash log you first check which thread crashed:

So it crashed in thread 0. Then you look at the part of thread 0 which looks like this:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 rbframework.dylib 0x00fc4d90 0xf08000 + 773520 1 rbframework.dylib 0x00ffcbeb 0xf08000 + 1002475 2 com.apple.Foundation 0x931668a2 __57-[NSNotificationCenter addObserver:]_block_invoke_2 + 50 3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9980f5a4 __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ + 20 4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9980f52b ___CFXRegistrationPost_block_invoke + 75 5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9980f49c _CFXRegistrationPost + 460 ... 99 yourAppName <-- the first appearance of your application name
Usually (not always) this is the method calls where the crash started.

But in your case it might very well be this: Can-anyone-shed-light-on-osx-crash-report

Hi Eli:

Crash on quit was not the case before I read your answer last line: I get that too.

Full Screen Mode was my suspect because the less than 200 pixels tall window appears… full screen. If the main window is not in Full Screen Mode, this small window appears with its defined size (the < 2000 pixels tall).

I set full screen with a Toogle MenuItem / save this to a pref file.

At last, I installed El Capitan in my MacBook Pro SSD two days ago (and so I certainly never “used” that application with El Capitan before.

Here is the full crash log in case it help to understand.

Hey: 10 users online !

[quote=238807:@Emile Schwarz]Hi Eli:

Crash on quit was not the case before I read your answer last line: I get that too.

Full Screen Mode was my suspect because the less than 200 pixels tall window appears… full screen. If the main window is not in Full Screen Mode, this small window appears with its defined size (the < 2000 pixels tall).

I set full screen with a Toogle MenuItem / save this to a pref file.

At last, I installed El Capitan in my MacBook Pro SSD two days ago (and so I certainly never “used” that application with El Capitan before.

Here is the full crash log in case it help to understand.

Hey: 10 users online ![/quote]

There was a report not long ago about crash when one quits in full screen mode. The workaround is to hide the window before quitting.

That was what Eli’s link was about.

BUT: this is not the real case here: the crash appears while displaying a small window… in full screen mode (with El Capitan vs standard size in standard mode).
This bug may be related: I do not know.

Emile: the crash report you posted says something about quit:

33 com.xojo.XojoFramework 0x00343a89 QuitMenuAction + 67
34 com.earsproductions.simplebrowser 0x00029bc5 QuitMenuItem.Event_Action%b%o + 42

Emile, sometimes it is extremely difficult to follow you…

As I interpret it, your crash log shows that you were in full screen mode when you did quit the application. So it is probably the error from the other forum discussion I mentioned.

So, it is the wrong version, sorry.

I just try to get the correct one, but the crash occured and teh application quits…

Here is the one I get when I open the small window.

It have not the same size of the other one.

Emile: I think that 1952 is a bit before Realbasic/Realstudio/Xojo :slight_smile:

This bug was fixed in 2015r3.

Thank you Joe. *

My fault: I wasted some times earlier today trying to figure what I had wrong. I noticed that setting Mix. & Max (Width & Height) of window was a workaround: a bad workaround since then no one will be able to resize that window. [I get a free internet at my local McDonald’s].
Another work-around is to press the esc key to get the windwo back to the non Full Screen Size mode…

Now I just have to trash the report I wrote earlier.

• I also have to put money (1€/$ a day ?) in a box until I get enough to pay an update (probably sometimes in late 2016).

This bug was fixed in 2015r3.
I created a way to read easilly the release notes (all in a central location/folder)… but I lost it in my hard disk desaster in mid Septembe 2015.

No, it wasn’t. I set the full Screen Mode off before quit and all is OK (more or less, read above).

Window1.FullScreen = False // This is enough…

So this is exactly the issue from the order thread. Until this gets fixed you must prevent the closing when in full screen mode. Go to the bottom of the other thread. There is a method from Sam Rowlands:

Function isFullScreen(Extends w As Window) As Boolean

Put this method in the CancelClose event of the window (and/or App) and if the method returns True, Return True in the event. Something like that (not tested as I am not in front of a computer):

Event App.CancelClose(...) Return isFullScreen(Window(0)) End
and/or:

Event Window1.CancelClose(...) Return isFullScreen(Self) End

Hi Eli,

Thank you for the clarification usage of the shared code.

I wanted to use it, but my brain was in slow mode, so I used Window1.FullScreen = False in the Close Event (I forgot where exactly).

My base problem was not there, but before a quit, a quit I did not ask for.

I displayed a small window with a TextField and some buttons: the TextField is there to get an URL (to go) and I have one OK PushButton to click (plus some others like cancel, etc.)

That window (and some others) opens in FullScreen mode (like if I set it to ON) instead of 840 x 120 pixels. Once I set these values to all three properties (Height and Width + Min and Max), the problem stopped.

I worked a part of this morning with the ceated application and do not had this problem (I had a different one probably because the old project I was working ondoes not have that feature…)

Have a nice Sunday afternoon !

Time for me to go back home and have a lunch: my stomach is starting to protest… ;-:).

You are right, but where can I found the 1952 ?

SORRY ALL: I goofed :frowning:
(I just checked my link !)

Here is the right file here .

The other link was… where I was working yesterday with the application !