Einhugur StyleGrid Retina Support

[quote=74831:@Merv Pate]Christian V - StyleGrid (text is rendered slightly thinner/pixelated than in any other app)
I never noticed, I’ll have to take a look.[/quote]

Here’s how it looks for me, on a 30" Cinema, so the pixelated font is not due to Retina…
At the bottom is iTunes (any other app displays it like iTunes).

Are you returning true from the CellBackgroundPaint event? If not, try that. It will tell the runtime that your code has completely handled the background painting, and nothing further will be done.

HA! Thanks, Peter! That little true I was missing.

@Karen: I just read in the “XDC Open Conversation - Day 3” Thread that the listbox is a dead horse? Is that somehow confirmed by Xojo Inc?
If so, one big reason more to stay with the StyleGrid and the need of an update for it.

[quote=74932:@Christian V]HA! Thanks, Peter! That little true I was missing.

@Karen: I just read in the “XDC Open Conversation - Day 3” Thread that the listbox is a dead horse? Is that somehow confirmed by Xojo Inc?
If so, one big reason more to stay with the StyleGrid and the need of an update for it.[/quote]

We don’t know what will happen to it in the long run for sure, but in any case it will be a long time before the current framework disappears.

• Karen

[quote=74924:@Christian V]Karen Atkocius I don’t know why you say that… You have absolute control using cellbackgroundpaint in the Xojo listbox of the selected and non selected color. I do it all the time!
It’s obvious that I miss the obvious. How do you do that? No matter what I paint, the OS selection color is there.

[/quote]

Use CellbackgroundPaint and return true

That is NOT going to happen… Xojo Inc has moved on to Cocoa.

And the Windows world moved on to the .NET framework 10+ years ago…and we’re still building win32 programs. Confusing.

Paul also made this cool webinar which really opened my eyes to the capabilities of the ListBox.

Webinar: Using the ListBox

Not confusing. Its Microsofts policy to be backward compatible. You still can run apps from the 90s on a new Windows 8 box. OTOH Apple gave no attention to Carbon for years, its still around but will eventually vanish like PPC and Rosetta vanished.

I get it that Apple is moving forward with Cocoa and Xojo needs to follow suit. But just because Microsoft will continue to support a legacy technology from the 90’s, doesn’t mean that Xojo has to use it as their “go to” framework for the Windows platform.

Carbon will be around for some time, yet when I file a bug report on a Carbon issue, I’m reminded that Carbon is the past, time to move on to Cocoa. Well, Win32 is WAY in the past and .Net has been the modern framework for Windows programs for 10+ years. Yet here I am, in 2014, dealing with Win32 flicker issues with crazy code workarounds and stuffing in canvas-based solutions here and there to deal with them.

I understand that is how it is but that doesn’t make it any less confusing.

Björn answered me that StyleGrid/DataGrid have a lot of old OS 9 code and all drawing code needs to be rewritten to make it Retina-ready. He has no time frame of when it will happen.

This time, using 3rd party stuff bites back. Rewriting/testing all my GUI-code to use the ListBox instead of StyleGrid will cost me a lot of time. :frowning:

I toyed with the ListBox to allow for custom headers and reordering columns. My approach is to link 2 listboxes in a container control together so one can act as the header for the other. I can already drag a header as a transparent canvas and scroll during the drag to columns which might be out of the visible area.
It was fun to fiddle with it, but to make it really pretty (reordering like iTunes does) it will need a lot more time and there’s other stuff on the plate right now.