Eclipse 2017

[quote=346814:@Alberto De Poo]How about another Xojo meeting April 08, 2024 in Austin?
Total eclipse at 1:36 pm that day. Austin is in the 100% path.[/quote]

I’m in! That would be SO awesome!
A bunch of computer nerds/space nerd crammed together to be creative, learn stuff, and awww at the sun/moon!
@Dana Brown Idea for the #XDC2024?

@Edwin van den Akker I love it! I’ll mark the calendar, save the date! But don’t make that your first XDC - join us THIS April in Denver!

Not flat earth (although they have some fun “explanations” - google “flat earth eclipses explained”)
It’s apparently Satan causing the eclipse (google for “eclipse 2017 satan”)

I know. But I am a European. And a freelance cameraman, not the highest wage here. So, I love to combine these sort of things :slight_smile:
Unless you hire me as a cinematographer of course (payments in kind are accepted :wink: )

[quote=346817:@Norman Palardy]Not flat earth (although they have some fun “explanations” - google “flat earth eclipses explained”)
It’s apparently Satan causing the eclipse (google for “eclipse 2017 satan”)[/quote]

Awesome, I’ll look into that.

or maybe a conspiracy
try “eclipse 2017 conspiracy”

Well, even though we were in the 99.6% totality band here in Florence, SC, it really was a non-event. It never went totally dark (matter of fact, looked like late evening really). I took my dog out to watch with me. After a short while she looked at me as if to say, “Is that all there is?” … and I couldn’t agree with her more.

Overcast?

No, not really … only a few clouds in the sky. I don’t get it.

Sounds more like downcast :slight_smile:

[quote=346821:@Norman Palardy]or maybe a conspiracy
try “eclipse 2017 conspiracy”[/quote]

All good. I have been watching these kind of stuff the last few days. Norman, Does that make me a space-nerd… or a conspiracy-nerd? Haha!

Someone who enjoys a good laugh :slight_smile:

Precisely, Norman … I had bragged on the “cool factor” of watching the animals fooled into nighttime state … but it never happened. That does leave me “downcast”.

Well… it only lasted a couple of minutes. I think that is too short for them to notice. When a heavy cloud comes over and looks like night here, I don’t see birds act like that. Or roosters yelling "It’s morning: when that cloud passes.

It might as well have been a big cloud, Edwin. But I will say there was a strange “hue” to the sky that you don’t get with a big cloud … kind of like a weird neon light look.

At our place, even though the coverage was only 66% or so, there was a measurable temperature and humidity trend, where the temperature dropped 2degF and stayed flat for about 15mins (on its way to 102; and the (relative) humidity stopped decreasing, increased, and then started decreasing again.

Maybe some weird twilight colors.
From the international space station, you see a gradient of the shadow. If you are somewhere near this shadow you might see the odd hues as the lower light frequencies bend around the moon and cast the lower frequency light on the area where you are.

I saw a total solar eclipse in Washington State in 1979 at the tender age of 14. I knew that there is no substitute for 100% totality. So this eclipse, no matter what, I was going to travel where it was. 2 years ago I lived in southern West Central Minnesota, and we would have to drive maybe 8 hours but I would have done it. Anything partial is cool but meaningless compared to a total eclipse.

I moved last year to Nashville, a little south of it. My house is right at the edge of totality, but I knew it wouldn’t be good enough. So now I have 3 kids in their middle school-high school years, and I took them a little ways north to catch the total eclipse. They loved it, and I loved it - it lasted 2.5 minutes where we were. It’s the totality that makes it all worth it - it becomes nighttime, the crickets and bugs start chirping, it’s unbelievably cool. Really the major changes occur 2-3 minutes before totality, because the sun is so unbelievably powerful that it takes a total covering to create the full impact. Any glimpse of the sun - well, it’s all or nothing, really.

In 7 years when it happens again in America, plan a trip - do it. It’s really a miracle.

Greetings all,

Well I must say it was a great event from down under, it was dark for hours here during your eclipse!!

We will get our turn, but not for another 11 years…July 22, 2028 will see Australia’s biggest city (Sydney) directly in the centre line of totality!! I won’t have to travel anywhere, although I might consider a bush trip to the Kimberleys if the weather looks like it may obscure the sun.

Cheers
Grant

I drove to SC for this… definitely worth it.