Dynamically changing the focus ring

The LR indicates that UseFocusRing can be set in the Open event of a TextField. But I’m trying this and it’s not working. I have UseFocusRing set to off in the control inspector, but set it to true in the Open event. The focus ring will not activate when the field gets focus.

Am I missing something or is this a bug in the LR.

Do you mean a TextField or a TextArea? If you meant a TextArea: Mac OS X doesn’t place a focus ring around a TextArea (called NSTextView). If you meant TextField: I haven’t seen this problem with my application.

Definitely a TextField. I am aware of the TextArea limitation. So, if you can toggle the focus ring usage in your app, then I’m doing something wrong. Now, to find it…

Thanks

Is this happening with a subclass of TextField you’ve created?

No. Just a vanilla TextField. I have created a simple project to demo the issue if this is a bug.

In the meantime I quickly created a new project, added a TextField to the window, set UseFocusRing in the IDE to false, created its Open() event and added this code:

Me.UseFocusRing = True

Works perfectly.

Strange. I’m not seeing this. I do see that the property is being changed to have the focus ring on, but when I click into the field nothing happens - no focus ring.

Wait a minute… I was building in Carbon. In Cocoa it works properly! Isn’t that a switch. I’m used to Cocoa being the problem child!

Thanks for pushing me along.