Don't forget the Apple Event today!

I’m in hopes of an upgraded MacBook Pro 15" Retina!
Need something else than my iMac for the road :wink:

I was awaiting 10.9, but it seems to be posponned by a week or two or…

For those with Apple TVs, the Apple Events channel is back as of today…

Dedicated graphics chip on all models would be nice (totally dislike the Intel rubbish. Just as apple is attracting game developers, they started installing this rubbish all but their expensive models)
Bring back the internal dvd drive to all models. I dislike having to take my external model everywhere.
Actually launch the products they talk about. I’m still waiting for the new Mac Pro.

Hopefully there’s a live feed :slight_smile:

[quote=41786:@Dirk Cleenwerck]Dedicated graphics chip on all models would be nice (totally dislike the Intel rubbish. Just as apple is attracting game developers, they started installing this rubbish all but their expensive models)
Bring back the internal dvd drive to all models. I dislike having to take my external model everywhere.
Actually launch the products they talk about. I’m still waiting for the new Mac Pro.[/quote]
What do you mean? Mine has a 650M, and I was quite surprised what it can handle. It can max out Left 4 Dead, and hold it’s own in most games. Hopefully new models will have something from the 700 series, as they as much more capable cards. My wife’s 760 benchmarks almost as well as my 670, and actually beats it in some areas.

It is :slight_smile:
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

Macbook airs have Intel HD Graphics 5000
Macbook Pro with Retina has Intel HD Graphics 4000 unless you spend at least 2199$
Macbook Pro has Intel HD Graphics 4000 on all 13 and 15 inch models unless you spend at least 1799$
Mac Mini has Intel HD Graphics 4000, no other options.
iMac has Intel Iris Pro Graphics unless you spend at least 1499$

So the cheapest way not to have Intel Graphics is buying an iMac at 1499$.

If there is no 17" macbook pro, I will wait again another year.

As do a lot of other developers who use their machine to develop on and give demos with it.
As do a lot of graphic designers.

And no, retina doesn’t do the trick, I need the screen area. And no I won’t drag a second monitor everywhere I go.

Reminder to self. When posting at work, still read what you post. My English was horrible in the previous post. Luckily I knew what I meant and therefore understood my own gibberish.

I meant that they started installing this rubbish in all but their most expensive models.
:slight_smile:

[quote=41808:@Dirk Cleenwerck]Reminder to self. When posting at work, still read what you post. My English was horrible in the previous post. Luckily I knew what I meant and therefore understood my own gibberish.

I meant that they started installing this rubbish in all but their most expensive models.
:)[/quote]

[quote=41806:@Dirk Cleenwerck]Macbook airs have Intel HD Graphics 5000
Macbook Pro with Retina has Intel HD Graphics 4000 unless you spend at least 2199$
Macbook Pro has Intel HD Graphics 4000 on all 13 and 15 inch models unless you spend at least 1799$
Mac Mini has Intel HD Graphics 4000, no other options.
iMac has Intel Iris Pro Graphics unless you spend at least 1499$

So the cheapest way not to have Intel Graphics is buying an iMac at 1499$.[/quote]
So you want a discrete card, without paying much money for one?

For the record, the integrated graphics comes built into the chipset. They done install it, it just comes that way. Even when a discrete chip is available, the integrated is there too. And, the HD4000 is arguably the best integrated graphics on the market, at least until the next generation.

I’m sorry, this is just the name of the game. You want powerful graphics, you pay more. This is true even of PCs.

I understand power=money. For my desktop I also invested in a good graphics card.
Still even my son’s cheap HP laptop has Radeon HD 8330 Graphics which is much better than the Intel cheap stuff.
And when looking at prices, if you look at for instance the HP ENVY 15t-j100 Select Edition you can get the following options
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory for just 80$ extra
and
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics with 4096MB of dedicated video memory for 120$ extra
At least HP offers you the choice, whilst Apple doesn’t.
And believe me I really like Apple, but would like them to be a bit more focused on the games market outside the iPhone/iPad segment.
Young people play games and at the moment Apple is too expensive for them.
If I want to spend 2000$ on a gaming PC, that’s one thing, but for my 12 yr old son, that’s just too expensive.
So Apple priced themselves out of the market for teenagers and they play the games.
At least that’s my view.

Or you can make the option to pay for a better graphics card available on “cheaper” models of a macbook pro (which isn’t cheap at all). This is the same problem as with 17" macbook pro’s: I don’t mind paying for it, but it’s just not available

Um… no. I don’t have any personal experience with the HD 8330, but I know Intel’s HD 4000 is pretty good. And according to community benchmarks, (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html) gets a score of 462. The 8330 gets a score of 355. Both scores are pathetic of course, but that’s not the point. The point is evidence suggests the Intel “cheap stuff” performs roughly 30% better than the 8330 in your son’s laptop.

I’m not trying to argue for the sake of arguing. What I’ve been trying to say is that modern integrated solutions are getting pretty good, for integrated solutions. Apple use to include discrete chips in even their cheaper models, when integrated graphics were completely worthless. Now that they’re beginning to hold their own a bit, Apple has left off the discrete chips on the lower end models to save costs both to the consumer and Apple.

For the record, the 650M in my Retina MBP benchmarks at 1297. For a roughly 180% boost in performance, yeah, I’d expect to pay extra for that.

If you go to any gaming-capable laptop, you’ll find prices much closer to Apple’s mid-to-high end laptops.
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/lance.asp
http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon15-s/
Those last two are closer to the $1500 price point, but they need some pricey customizations to really take on games. In fact, on that last one, speccing it out similar to Apple’s MBP gets you to $2700, and still doesn’t get you a retina screen.

Apple didn’t price themselves out of the market, they just didn’t break the laws of economics.

Not as slow download as it could have been :wink:

Just remarking something about this:

New pricings op apple:

13" Retina, 2.4Ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 128 GB flash
In US store: 1299 Dollar
In Belgian store: 1329 Euro ( = 1832 Dollar)

13" Retina, 2.6Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 512 GB flash
In US store: 1799 Dollar
In Belgian store: 1829 Euro ( = 2521 Dollar)

15" Retina, 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 512 GB flash
In US store: 2566 Dollar
In Belgian store: 2629 Euro ( = 3624 Dollar)

Just so you know, laws of economics can be at work very soon this way

I hate autocorrect…

[quote=41848:@Gino Deblauwe]Just remarking something about this:

New pricings op apple:

13" Retina, 2.4Ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 128 GB flash
In US store: 1299 Dollar
In Belgian store: 1329 Euro ( = 1832 Dollar)[/quote]

US prices are shown without sales tax / VAT. So add 21% and compare again.

I’m pretty sure there are no states that charge 21% sales tax. Some charge none at all. Average is about 9.5%.

1299 * 1,21 = 1571,79
Still remarkable less than 1832