Doing Xojos job with re-verifying bugs in new Feedback

Nothing stops someone other than the Feedback’s OP from adding comments or adding a sample project, if they’re that interested and the OP has given up.

A bug with lots of users subscribing (or commenting) on it would “have activity” on it and thus would not meet the closing criteria.

The owner will still get to decide if the bug is important or not and cause it to be closed if they don’t reply.

The only closing acceptable criteria are (cascading, order of time):

1. Bad report, not enough data. Ask for a complete case or close it.
  2. Reviewer couldn’t reproduce it using current product. Close it.
  3. The engineer couldn’t reproduce it using the current product. Close it.
  4. Engineer fixed it and the QA reviewer assured it. Close it.

This approach has its strengths.

The RemObjects team do this. They make a compiler that compiles several languages (not really a direct competitor to Xojo as they have no GUI designer in their IDE, nor any desire to have one).

You post about a bug on their forum and if a team member confirms it’s a bug they add it to their bug tracker. End users can view the status of the bug repair but the team get the benefit that every bug in the tracker was entered by one of the development team. That keeps the noise down a lot I suspect.

When the bug is closed it links back to the original forum thread too. Nifty.

1 Like

I understand that change can be upsetting, I can assure you that this is not nefarious. The purpose of this is just to help us better manage the Feedback queue. I think the “many months” part does come across as too frequent (I’m in favor that number being in the 30s or even higher such as a few years), but don’t skip over the “has had no activity” part which is important and will keep even older cases open.

As an example of old stuff, there are many cases in Feedback that are about Real Studio and no longer have any relevance to Xojo. Should those be kept open forever? Perhaps you think they should be kept open until a person can review them and make a determination. This is a perfectly valid opinion to have and is what we have been doing for the most part. Unfortunately, like any company Xojo has limited resources. We are trying to best use these resources so that we can focus on and fix the things that matter most to you.

3 Likes

Crowd fund it, have a slight renewal discount for every ticket checked, I emailed xojo about this and other things a long time ago.

3 Likes

This is your job and not ours.

3 Likes

I have been trying to keep up with my issues. But not even totally dead issues have been closed on request:

3 Likes

I checked my oldest open bug reports:

29899 - Example DragToFinder doesn’t give a Msgbox Result: from 2013, still not fixed after 8 years!
26094 - ClearRect on ContainerControl with BackColor not working properly: also from 2013, also not fixed.

1 Like

Feature request: allow OP to close their own tickets. That will save Xojo some time.

Edit: Thank you Julian, you are right (see comment 2 below)

1 Like

But haven’t you just renamed the visual presentation of Verified and Reproducible to Open, as I understand it you have an additional hidden allocation system on tickets anyway? I really can’t get my head around “Because several case statuses are misunderstood, we are simplifying them.”

As it stands right now, I as someone that helps xojo find bugs, now has a harder time seeing the status of recently updated projects so I don’t know if I need to help a ticket be reproduced or not. Even if I go into the ticket, all I see is this;

This behavior has been verified by our testing staff as a bug. (Build 55003) Status changed from 'Open' to 'Open'.

What use is this to your customers or those that help you with bug hunting?

4 Likes

They can request it, but its not obvious, just click the Status link at the top of the ticket, allowing a user to alter the ticket without a double check is not safe, if someone gets upset they could nuke all their tickets, if I did that xojo would lose track of 100’s of confirmed bugs.

1 Like

And it doesn’t do anything as can be seen with my screenshot.

1 Like

You didn’t do it as I mentioned, I see Alberto has just done it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what Julian is saying is that you added a comment to your case and not a “formal” request to close. For that you need to click “Open” and choose action “Close case” and add a reason.

Like I just did on that case.

2 Likes

But yes, it would seem that ticket hasn’t been looked at once since at least October 2017 which is :frowning:

Did that, too. Doesn’t do anything either.

Why are now all open tickets in the Open status? This doesn’t make any sense at all. How am I to differentiate between brand new tickets and verified ones.

You won’t be able to differentiate, that’s one of the changes.

From the blog:

Because several case statuses are misunderstood, we are simplifying them. The bottom line is that a case is open until it’s not.

So:

• Need Review
  • Reviewed
  • Reproducible
  • Verified

now all are ‘Open’

We are still thinking about how that part will work. However, mostly these are going to be very old cases. Often when come across these cases we find they are no longer reproducible in the current version and close them.