Does Xojo write out temp files while compiling?

I came across an article on the net on how to set up a RAM disk in OSX, and then how to set it so the OS uses that drive for temporary files.

If Xojo writes tempo files during compile (or other operations) it occurs to me that doing this could speed things up a lot for those with hard Disks and save wear for those with SSDs.

Since this is an OS thing, it would speed up any app that uses temp files if it uses the OS location for temp files…

So might this help with Xojo, and if so, what size RAM disk would be best?

[quote=50557:@Karen Atkocius]I came across an article on the net on how to set up a RAM disk in OSX, and then how to set it so the OS uses that drive for temporary files.

If Xojo writes tempo files during compile (or other operations) it occurs to me that doing this could speed things up a lot for those with hard Disks and save wear for those with SSDs.

Since this is an OS thing, it would speed up any app that uses temp files if it uses the OS location for temp files…

So might this help with Xojo, and if so, what size RAM disk would be best?[/quote]

The compiler does not use temporary files. For running in the debugger, it saves compiled classes/modules to disk in the caches folder and reuses them on the next compile. Even in that case, the overall compile process is not IO bound.

I think you’re worried too much about the wear on the SSD. :slight_smile:

And remember, the OS does aggressive RAM caching on its own. Everything I’ve read suggests that RAM disks don’t serve any practical purpose in this day and age.

I get paranoid when I spend too much money and have my spouse be unhappy about it! :wink:

Indeed Karen, you are too paranoid about the wear on SSD’s. I am using an SSD in this laptop now for 2 years. And despite the first OCZ SSD crashed after one year, the one I have now runs without any problems.

Now I am using an Intel which is expensive but more reliable. You can write 10000 times on the same location. It also depend on how full your SSD is. When there is room enough, then your SSD will last longer. Defragmenting an SSD is the worst you can do and a compplete useless action.

With my first SSD I saved on money and less then a year it crashed. Then I bought this expensive Intel and it works excellent. And believe me, this laptop is used a lot in very harsh conditions, from extreem cold to dessert conditions (Botswana).

Just backup very regularly and you are safe. Anyway a good SSD has a lifespan of 10 years. Don’t worry too much.

[quote=50623:@Chris Verberne]
Just backup very regularly and you are safe. Anyway a good SSD has a lifespan of 10 years. Don’t worry too much.[/quote]

I’ll try not to… On my HD now I have over 200GB so that is about where the 512GB SSD will be starting out.

200 GB … that’s it ?
My last laptop had a 500 Gb HD in it and that was too small - so I swapped it out for a 1TB 7200 RPM one
Now I have a 768 GB SSD + 2 external 1TB drives + 2 1TB drives for time machine
I almost have enough room :slight_smile:

Well closer to 220GB on it… so I will have about half the SSD filled at the start.

My Time Machine 3TB Drive though has about 1.25 TB on it and I have been using it less than a year and a half.

That one will go with my own Mac… Bought a new 3 TB USB 3 Drive for $99.99 for the new iMac.

I was thinking of getting a 0.5 TB 7200 RPM drive for the new Mac as well for overflow, but that could end in divorce! :wink:

[quote]
My last laptop had a 500 Gb HD in it and that was too small - so I swapped it out for a 1TB 7200 RPM one
Now I have a 768 GB SSD + 2 external 1TB drives + 2 1TB drives for time machine
I almost have enough room :)[/quote]

Unless I get into video (unlikely), I can’t ever see needing that much storage!

• Karen

I have almost 0 video on my machine :slight_smile: