Does someone wants to put my game on AppStore

If you really want to publish this game, it is probably safe to contact Hasbro and ask for their permission. A “no” you have" a “yes” you can get.

Honestly, I would not risk violating their patent because it can cost you dearly. If they say “yes” you can continue, if they say “no” it is game over for your game.

Like we are checking the internet for cracks or illegal copies of our work, so does companies like Hasbro. When you appear on their radar, it will cost you. A warned man is worth two!

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case. You will be asked to remove your app unless …

In my real jog (commercial agent) my compagny name is Toroco (nothing to do with software development) and I use this name and domain for my Bundle Identifier. I names my last app ToroNess and I will rename my game SMasterMind -> ToroMind .
I just have a look and I earn 160 € (- Paypal comm) during the 11 last years for this game (it is donationware, the user click a button “I don’t want to donate” and he use it as if he donated).
Xojo = 300 €/year x 11 = 3300 €. But I have another Apps which allow me to pay my Xojo license.

I think ff-Works (which was ff-Mpeg) is develop with Xojo but I don’t know if the author post in the forum. I registered his app but I found a pirate serial for ff-Works.
I was looking for serial for my Apps and I found a serial for one of my game, Neuronyx, I was flattered and I changed it to donationware because I don’t care and I didn’t sell it neither. But if it was my job I would have been upset.
I would have think to blacklist the pirate serial in my app and erase some files of the user :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: .
No, I would have think about but never did. Too dangerous and we can’t kill someone because he steals 6 €.

never do harm things on a hacker machine, it could return against you.
prevent your software from launching, but dont delete anything on the host computer.

2 Likes

Post withdran by poster.

About unintentional copyright infringements: I have been into it. Very very nasty business.
You will be completely on your own.

4 Likes

As I said, I will rename my app. But can I write in the description on my website and on MacUpdate website : “MasterMing game” ? Or “MasterMind™️ game” ? Or is it forbidden to use the word MasterMind ?

Thank you all for your help.

It’s not when you change the name everything is ok. The patent clearly describes the gameplay, board, layout, …

2 Likes

Replace Mastermind by Coco-Cola, or Xojo, or Apple, or Kellogs, or Trump and re-ask yourself your question ;-). If you have an app counting how many cokes you drink, Coca-Cola might be happy that you are mentioning them, if your app will reveal the recipe or produce Coke … not so much. That’s the issue you are facing, you are using the trademark to advertise a similar app … that might end up in bad news for you.

Again, it all depends on the countries too. For instance a lot of countries missed to register trademarks in Mauritius, reason why you can buy there legally T-Shirts with the Lacoste Logo etc, but you are still not allowed to import them in most countries.

In Germany the laws are particularly nasty, we have unfortunately a whole industry meanwhile chasing legal and/or copyright infringements. For instance even if you are running a private blog, if you don’t fulfil the GDPR requirements here or if your imprint is false or not at max 2 mouse-clicks away from the main page every lawyer can admonish you.

That one page serve note will cost you around 500 EUR, and of course you can go to court to fight against further consequences, but that fee has very likely to be absorbed by you. The government recently relaxed the procedure a bit, mainly because this new “industry” of lawyers chased innocent people, but it is still a dangerous trap over here.

We all indulge you in being successful with your app, we only want to point you to the caveats. And as said above copyright infringement is not a peccadillo. In Germany it will not really matter that you are acting as a private person or that you are offering it for free or donation ware. If I’m producing a fake Rolex and I’m making a gift of it to you, I have a big problem. That’s for instance one reason my devs are preferring Postgres over mySQL as Oracle is well known to be “picky” on all licenses infringements.

Of course, technically the risk might be little that you are caught, but why taking the risk besides that everyone should follow good ethical business practices.

That will be considered infringement.

In the App Store, chances are you will be kicked out as soon as Hasbro complains you have used its trademark without prior consent.

That said, if you post that donationware on numerous software download sites as I suggested above, I doubt extremely much hasbro will try to go after you.

2 Likes

I agree, but it often happens, when companies are starting to hunt a “big fish” … in that context they might then pick up you as well, perhaps only to show that they are serious and fair (targeting all infringements). That’s were things might get unpleasant for a “private” dev too. Just. Don’t. Do it!

If you have plenty of money left beside buying the Xojo licenses and in general like living on the edge and enjoying such adventures, then it is of course a complete different story.

I think all is said, your app, your life, your business, your decision :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your answers. This app have been develop by my friend 20 years ago or more. It is listed on MacUpdate as my other apps, and on my website. They didn’t find it. I will change the name and I won’t list it elsewhere. I hope they won’t find it.
I don’t have donation, I don’t leave it on my website to earn money, just because it took me many time to develop it and I would be sad to erase it.

Mastermind by Magic Touch ApS
They update it some days ago, and when I saw the screencapture I told to myself that my app was not ugly compare to their game. That’s why I thought about put it on the AppStore. I’m curious if they have the benediction of MasterMind, they just put ™️ but no link and nothing else.

1 Like

We all understand you.

Well, that’s like you seeing someone selling illegal drugs, which doesn’t mean that it becomes legal when you are doing it ;-). Quite frankly: many people don’t care and are just eager to see their app in the store and often nothing bad might happen. But that can quickly change, for instance if someone is bothering hasbro by email that they want a refund for this app ;-). You never know what your “customers/consumers” will be doing,

I began this thread being happy to see my app on the AppStore soon and now I’m sad and worried to be put in jail :dizzy_face:.
No, I’m kidding, I’m not so worried, but a little, yes, a little bit :smiley:.

1 Like

Think positive: you made new friends, we’ll visit you in jail, promised!

7 Likes

It’s also possible that this app you show on the App Store has permission from Hasbro. What you should really do is not listen to any of us on the legalities but consult an attorney about it. If you are wanting to be in any kind of business at all, you should have a business attorney in your contact list for understanding/dealing with things like this.

It’s possible that this game is so old (from the 1970s) that the copyrights have expired. I believe copyrights last a certain period of time and are renewable but they aren’t forever. Things go into the public domain after a while - at least in the US.

But as others have stated - the fact that you are ignorant of the law does not make you innocent when you break it! Here in the US we have some incredibly strict policies regarding things like encryption and what can or cannot be exported. Fortunately, Apple actually forces you to review what encryption is in your app. You have to submit if you are using encryption and if you are exempt (ie: an exempt example is if you are using an encrypted database and you are decrypting it with your app). But if you use HTTPS in your app, you MUST annual file a report with the US Defense Department! I didn’t even know that. I do know for sure that we have certain countries to which we cannot sell certain types of technology products. If someone from that country comes and purchases something from my website that is export restricted, EVEN IF I DON’T KNOW THEY DID, I can go to jail.

Laws vary from country to country, but I would certainly consult a qualified attorney on any question of legality.

You may also want to reach out to Hasbro and ask for permission. They may grant it. If they do then you are clear. It is trouble to do this but can be worth it. I went through it once requesting Disney give me a license to display content at an exhibition utilizing my product. They would not allow it under any circumstance - even though I had a loop of a video that was used in retail stores. Why? Because in the stores, the stores show the loop to promote Disney products. In my case, I’m would be using the loop to promote MY product. So depending on how Hasbro or anyone else sees your app, they may or may not grant permission.

2 Likes

On Amazon, sellers can see their listing suppressed if a big brand claims intellectual property infringement. According to the list below, Hasbro does not seem to be aggressive.

2 Likes

an earlier post in this thread showed that it is still there at least until 2026…

So I can cancel my plans to visit @Thomas_ROBISSON in jail for the time being ;-).

1 Like