Distributing a DB app that accesses MSSQL

I want to distribute a program that accesses MSSQL. The MSSQL databases are already set up as part of a medical software program, and my program just queries the database (read only) and gets certain data out. I have written a small test program that works , but I was wondering on how to distribute the package. Having to install MSSQL windows 32 bit native client is painful. Has anyone distributed a program that uses MSSQL , is there an ‘easy’ way to do this.? Will I just have to install microsoft native client?

Thanks.
Hamish (xojo noob)

I am using Inno Setup where you can silent install native client. Take care of 64 and 32 Bit Clients. Some MSSQL Apps still need matching System DSN and/or User DSN in the ODBC settings. This might get tricky for your Xojo 32 Bit app. In order to get the ODBC stuff done on 64Bit Windows you need to start the 32Bit ODBC Tool from %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe

Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976/

Hi, I had a similar problem. I couldn’t connect to a MSSQL remote server (hosted by Amazon) from a Windows 7 machine (stock) in which I was remote debugging a Xojo app. The error message was “SQL Server Native Client not installed. Download the ‘SQL Server Feature Pack’ from www.microsoft.com”.

So I did just that. I went to the Microsoft page and downloaded the “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client” since 2008 R2 was the version on the remote server. Installed using the defaults and it worked, I was able to connect my Xojo app.

Hope it helped.