displaying text on a web container

If you cant use a weblabel on a web container, then how can text be displayed on a web container? Since the web container has no paint event, then that option is out. I dont want to use a heavy weight control such as the text area because I need to load 20 webcontainers onto a client page just to display a single line of text in each container. I see in previous posts that the label control is a source of trouble and dismay for other web app developers, surely there must be a workaround for this most basic programming functionality.

You can use WebLabels on WebContainers. The problem arises when you have WebLabels on WebContainers which are added dynamically with EmbedWithin to another WebContainer several layers deep. Are you running into a specific issue?

The problem is arising when I embed the container into a client web app page. Im not doing anything complex. Just embedding a single instance of the container into a page causes the issue. Just for the record, the text on the weblabel is cut off half way through as if another control with a higher z order has partially moved over the label. I have tried to apply several styles to the web label to see if this fixes the problem, but nothing works.

Does it do this if no style is applied?

yep

Hm. I’ve been trying to nail this one down for years. Every little bit of information seems to get me a little closer to a universal solution.

[quote=117335:@Greg O’Lone]Hm. I’ve been trying to nail this one down for years. Every little bit of information seems to get me a little closer to a universal solution.

[/quote]
Astonishing considering what other complex things work so well in Xojo and yet such a basic thing like this gives you a hard time???
Another poster suggested making the weblabel multi line. I tried this on another project and it did work, but not on this project, grrrr

Greg FYI, I created a basic style that centered the text, made it 16 point bold and the problem went away. I just need to get used to big, fat bold text now.

This one has a specific design flaw (and I was not the original designer), so it’s been a challenge to fix it without breaking 3+ years of existing user code.

Have found that label displays if multiline is on.

Out of curiosity - who was the original designer. You know, so santa knows who to give coal to this year :stuck_out_tongue: I feel like the probably should have reviewed design patterns and web technologies a bit more so we wouldn’t be so locked in and limited with webstyles etc…

Fixing this in a way we don’t break your existing projects is the priority.

Is there an answer to this?
Every time I place a label in a modal or container the text refuses to show. Styling etc is there just no bloody text!
If I set the visible property to false in inspector and set it to true in the shown or open event it will work but what a mess this will cause. I am working feverishly to deliver a project and this crap comes up!

ps I am using 2015 r1 to test a few bug fixes before I put down cash for a renewed license…

[quote=177853:@Chris Musty]Is there an answer to this?
Every time I place a label in a modal or container the text refuses to show. Styling etc is there just no bloody text!
If I set the visible property to false in inspector and set it to true in the shown or open event it will work but what a mess this will cause. I am working feverishly to deliver a project and this crap comes up![/quote]

That should have been fixed in 2015R1. Which version are you using ?

As a workaround, you could use a read only TextArea.

[quote=177910:@Michel Bujardet]That should have been fixed in 2015R1. Which version are you using ?

As a workaround, you could use a read only TextArea.[/quote]

Also if you set the style of the TextField/TextArea to have a transparent background and invisible border then it will look just like a Weblabel with an added bonus of not chopping off words if the label gets too long.

Set the label to be multi-line as a work around. It’s still a bug, despite protestations that it is fixed.

I am sorry but here, in 2015R1 under Yosemite, a non multiline label placed on a WebContainer shows up just fine.

Just to make sure, I also used embedwithin, as I recall some reports about the bug manifesting with dynamically created controls.

To me, it furiously looks like the bug is gone. Note that I am in no way protesting anything, but simply using plain old good common sense and testing asumptions.

Maybe for WebContainers, but not for WebDialogs, and there was talk above about model WebContainers which I assumed meant some kind of dialog window.

[quote]Just to make sure, I also used embedwithin, as I recall some reports about the bug manifesting with dynamically created controls.
[/quote]

I have one windows with a set of dynamically embedded WebContainers across the top and it varies one build to the next whether they decide to show up!

I was talking about webcontainers, per the OP. But I just quickly tried with a webdialog and it seems to work as well.

Sorry to read that. Now the important thing is to spot where the bug is, to be able to eradicate it. From your description, it seems awfully random. Unless you can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue, I very much doubt it will ever be fixed.