Display issues with macOS 10.12 beta

(I assume that we can openly discuss this here, as Apple made this a public beta, or did I get this wrong?)

I wonder if others have noticed display glitches with Xojo-made apps in the 10.12 beta.

I see two kinds:

1. horizontal Slider controls are off - e.g. the knob is not aligned with the bar any more correctly. I also believe I’d seen a similar effect with betas of a previous OSX version (10.10 or 10.11, not sure) but later it got resolved. Which makes me wonder if Apple had to add some special Xojo handling back then, and now the same issue is back, i.e. the special handling has been removed again. Now sure about this, though. Does anyone remember?

2. I do some mask and alpha channel magic in offscreen buffers, and that leads to artifacts on the screen. Might be related to masks or alphas in image files I’m loading. Anyone else seeing this?

I believe it’s okay this year.

I’ve only played with the IDE briefly and that looked fine. Please file bug reports for whatever you can reproduce.

File bugs with Xojo? I’d rather file bugs with Apple :slight_smile:

Plus, it’s about my apps build with Xojo 2013, so I guess I won’t get any credit for reporting them :wink:

I mainly am interested in hearing if anyone here has such sliders looking correct, which would suggest that I’m just doing something “wrong” and could quickly fix this.

Yep, but both is good too.

Ah yeah, the Carbon framework is very dead and the Cocoa framework has received a lot of fixes since then.

Carbon gets VERY little love from Apple in newer releases

[quote=272416:@Thomas Tempelmann](I assume that we can openly discuss this here, as Apple made this a public beta, or did I get this wrong?)

I wonder if others have noticed display glitches with Xojo-made apps in the 10.12 beta.

I see two kinds:

1. horizontal Slider controls are off - e.g. the knob is not aligned with the bar any more correctly. I also believe I’d seen a similar effect with betas of a previous OSX version (10.10 or 10.11, not sure) but later it got resolved. Which makes me wonder if Apple had to add some special Xojo handling back then, and now the same issue is back, i.e. the special handling has been removed again. Now sure about this, though. Does anyone remember?

2. I do some mask and alpha channel magic in offscreen buffers, and that leads to artifacts on the screen. Might be related to masks or alphas in image files I’m loading. Anyone else seeing this?[/quote]

I saw the same in an App made with X2016R1, but i had to remove Sierra.
Please try to reproduce and report, because i do not think it’s related to Carbon. :slight_smile:

The app I talk about is Cocoa. And since the sliders made with 2013 look right on 10.11, I don’t see why it should break now, hence my question about having seen this effect before.

The OS changed so its possible

1. apple changed something
  2. we created the control & relied on some implementation detail that has changed

Either way 2013 wont be fixed
I’d try 2016 and see if this behave better

About the slider being off: 2014r2.1 shows the same issue, but 2016r1.1 doesn’t. So, Xojo has nothing to worry, but I do :slight_smile: