Disabling charm bar appearing with touch screen swipe

Hi,

For desktop windows 8.1 xojo applications on touch devices (tablet pc), do you know how to disable the charm bar appearing with touch screen swipe ? I have a kiosk application and I dont want the user to have access on system settings.

[quote=160069:@Antonis Vakondios]Hi,

For desktop windows 8.1 xojo applications on touch devices (tablet pc), do you know how to disable the charm bar appearing with touch screen swipe ? I have a kiosk application and I dont want the user to have access on system settings.[/quote]

http://www.howtogeek.com/127645/how-to-disable-the-charms-bar-and-switcher-hot-corners-in-windows-8/

Thanks Michel, but I need to have access on Windows API to disable the touch screen swipe for the charm (system bar). Some other idea, how programmatically I can do it ? I want to convert my application on kiosk mode, using cheap Chinese windows tablet pc .

What I posted is the only method I knew of that can be done within Xojo. Since it gives access to the registry, you can apply what is described on the page I linked to.

dim EdgeUI as new RegistryItem("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\ImmersiveShell\\EdgeUI", True) EdgeUI.Value("DisableCharmsHint") = 1 // zero to reinstate EdgeUI.Value("DisableTLCorner") = 1 // zero to reinstate

You may have to reboot for it to take effect. From what I see here, it works right away, though. These keys are the ones PC Settings create or modify when you switch corners off and on (see next paragraph).

Since you apparently will have control of the device, you can deactivate the corners in PC Settings (PC and devices/Corners and edges). This will effectively prevent popping up the charm bar by touch. Of course, if a keyboard was connected, Windows Key+C will still show it. And I know of no method to inhibit such keyboard shortcuts.

The non charm Kiosk mode is called Assigned Access, and is supposedly accessible dynamically by code.

I am afraid there are no ways to get that from a Xojo app, though. See

It seems possible only for Windows Store apps (read “Metro” new API, not Xojo).

I have consulted Msdn forums as well and there is no more luck. It does not mean there are not some deep secrets ways, but I was not able to find them.

Last minute : this seems to contain yet another method using the API. Is it not what you wanted ?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17470664/closing-the-windows-8-charm-bar

Now you have to brush up on C and declares…

There is even a (rather long) method in VB there.