Developing for Raspberry Pi

I totally agree but I’d still be delighted to be able to build console apps for the Pi, as a first step.

For those unfamiliar with this whole Raspberry Pi thing, take a flick through the latest issue of the official free magazine at https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issue-33-out-now/ to get some insight into what this thing can do and what your Xojo apps could do for it.

Don’t get me wrong, but as I see it there are tons of better ways to build console only apps for the RPi (bash, php and python for example is what I use). Getting GUI through Xojo targetting the platform is where I see the benefits.

One thing to ponder is that a great way for Xojo to expand their “ecosystem” is to give developers a way to leverage their Xojo skills. Python or PHP may be a better way to build for a specific platform, but if you can develop a toolkit in Xojo that works for rapidly developing server programs such as web apps and/or services (REST services, for example), then you can use that toolkit to deploy on Linux servers, Raspberry Pi, etc. This is how we have been envisioning and anticipating the ARM/Pi environment. Very enthused that the Xojo folks are expanding into the ARM space!

ARM looks like a required path for Xojo to take. Desktop is vastly overtaken by mobile devices, with a forecast from Gartner Group of 2200 million phones+tablets versus desktop+laptop 316 millions.
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2791017

The quasi totality of these mobile devices are using ARM. With iOS, Xojo has gained experience in producing code for that architecture. Now it makes sense to port the current Xojo technology to ARM PC. Maybe before moving into Android, but that is an entirely different story…

I’ve done some Arduino development, which is nice since they have a big development board (with lots of ports & header pins) for development but also a bunch of tiny SOC (system on chip) versions that are meant for production / embedded systems.

Does Raspberry Pi have a similar “cheap/small” version for production runs?

[quote=184242:@Michael Diehr]I’ve done some Arduino development, which is nice since they have a big development board (with lots of ports & header pins) for development but also a bunch of tiny SOC (system on chip) versions that are meant for production / embedded systems.

Does Raspberry Pi have a similar “cheap/small” version for production runs?[/quote]
Yep - it’s called the Pi Compute module. http://www.adafruit.com/products/2231

I’m getting confused. Will apps be console only or GUI too? I need GUI…

Christian said that he thinks they said console only. I really hope we will get to GUI apps - Xojo already makes GUI Linux apps - but if it’s console only at the start, it will still be very, very useful.

I guess we need someone from Xojo (after they finish traveling and get time to take a breath!) to clarify the plans regarding GUI apps and an IDE.

The only announcement we’ve made so far is that web and console Raspberry Pi support will be in 2015r3. It’s likely that the GUI framework will follow, but I can’t make any promises or give a timeline because it wasn’t on Geoff’s roadmap in the keynote.

Thanks Joe, very exciting.

Quite frankly, these days web is the only GUI you need on a PI.

Actually, it is not terribly difficult to use a console app to leverage HTML.