Developing for Raspberry Pi

Any recommendations on what to buy to start developing for Raspberry Pi? A turnkey box would be best, but I don’t even know if I’m asking the right question.

From @Kevin Cully :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XVAVAW/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Thanks!

Unlike some of these boards, the Pi is pretty much a turnkey solution in itself, in that it’s an actual full computer. That’s a nice set that Kevin recommended but if you have a lot of that stuff (such as the power supply, HDMI cable) and want to save a few bucks, you could just pick up the Pi 2 and maybe a compatible wifi module and microSD card. The camera module is real cheap too and worth the money. I can recommend Adafruit as a supplier for all things Pi.

I have 4 (I think) Pis now from the first model upwards. It’s something of an addiction, they’re so versatile. Happy to help with any questions, love these little devices.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2358

Xojo and Raspberry Pi aren’t yet compatible, are they?

It was announced as a future target at XDC.

Good to know!

But the current model’s RAM is 1GB ?

the specs for running apps on the PI have not been announced yet. once it gets closer to being launched they will announce it.

A Pro Bono application (the Windows version), compiled with Xojo 2015r1 size is 33.2MB…

Go Figure the work on their plate…

13.5MB once ziped.

Running Xojo (IDE, Compiler etc) should have 2 GB. The target system needs depend on the program you have made with Xojo.

And by the way: Xojo itself is running on an HP Stream 7 (1 GB). (Not very fast.)

I priced out that kit that Kevin mentioned. It’s a good deal.

A real micro-USB power supply ( 1500 mA is a minimum, 2000 mA is good ), a wireless keyboard including a trackpad, and the fastest SD card you can buy.

Benchmarks by the RPi foundation show that Sandisk class 4 give the best overall performance when using as a boot drive.

Good to know.

here is everything you want Raspberry

Xojo works fine on an Asus Transformer T100 with 1Go Ram. It should be little problem on the Pi.

I think they said, you will be able to build for Rasberry Pi in console targets.

Debugger and IDE will not run there as far as they said. And I think they said something about print command for debugging.

That’s fine, I mentioned in another thread that Pi console apps alone would still be great.

Hopefully the IDE could make it to the Pi over time. I’m absolutely convinced that there’s a market there for an environment like Xojo.

[quote=184086:@Gavin Smith]That’s fine, I mentioned in another thread that Pi console apps alone would still be great.

Hopefully the IDE could make it to the Pi over time. I’m absolutely convinced that there’s a market there for an environment like Xojo.[/quote]

Since this will be the first foray into ARM apart from iOS, I should think that Xojo does not want to take chances with the full IDE shebam. Console is a prudent move, but if it works, it paves the way for the UI apps. Looks like some Xojo engineers are already toying with Pi :wink:

Targetting the RPi and leaving out UI apps would be a … strange … move. The PRi is by far one of the most capable SBC out there when it comes to graphics - HDMI output . Just think about machine automation (currently in a project where we have a couple of Arduino Yun:s connected to a Windows Panel PC producing the GUI for the machine). Imagine having that GUI on a resonable prices RPi and a 10" LCD.