Desktop recording software??

I know this issue has been on topic earlier, possible by me…
Is there a free, small and neat software to record the desktop?
I intend to make an instruction video.

But at the other hand, even if it has been discussed earlier, the market changes and new software might show?

On Mac, QuickTime.

For PC, I use the free version of Screen Recorder. It has a limit of 10 minutes, which is quite enough for my needs. Rarely exceeding 3 mn.

They also have a Mac version, but I never used it.

Free for Mac and PC (Record directly to .GIF or .LCF)
Licecap

It’s not free, but I use ScreenFlow (Mac only) for all of my videos. Camtasia Studio has Mac and Windows versions and is fairly popular too. If you plan on doing a number of videos I’d recommend spending the money to get buzzers and bells.

Bob… we use exactly the same app for the video creation as you.

I also use and highly recommend ScreenFlow.

The latest version adds support for capturing a specific region of the screen and for exporting animated GIFs - two features that I’ve found to be very useful.

ScreenFlow isn’t free, but I’ve found it to be well worth the cost.

Thank you!
Excuse me! I’m on Windows at the moment…
But also, the Win / Mac discussion may help others. Not me! :slight_smile:

While we’re at it, do you know of a low cost tool (or free) to merge many PDF’s together into one?
I was looking at PDF Creator and/or PDF Architect, but while trying the software it turned out I was wrong…

I don’t know about PC, but on Mac that can be done right in Preview

For screen capture, I use Snag-It. It easily handles my various screen shot requirements as well as my screen recording requirements. It is not free however.

For PDF merging, I use PDFSam Basic, which is free.

I use Camtasio Studio, but as Louis mentioned, the newer versions of Snag-It will record the screen. Snag-It is made by Techsmith who also make Camtasia Studio. I own an old version of Snag-It for just single shot screen captures.

RE PDF: these folks, PDFescape , offer an excellent online editor that will let you combine or remove pages for smaller jobs. We have used it for adding signed/re-scanned sections to agreements in PDF.

They also have a commercial package for sale, but I can’t vet it since we haven’t needed anything more complicated.

Arthur

Open Broadcaster Software

You should change the channel to Windows. Click on “Controls” on the right, you will find the “Change Channel” option.

On Windows 10, install the free Xbox app. Mouse click on the display you want to record and then press Windowkey+G, and press the big red record button. Windows Game Bar.

The mp4 videos are automatically saved in your C:\Users\UserName\Videos\Captures directory.

On OS X
Open QuickTime Player
Start new screen recording

Does QuickTime allow you to zoom and pan around what you have captured, add captions, adjust speeds, highligh the cursor, etc?

Curious, because I bought ScreenFlow for making instructional videos and those capabilities were well, well worth it. If QT does all that, then I missed something big.

But even if I missed it, I’m very happy with ScreenFlow. It’s absolutely great for making instuctional videos.

Quicktime is very basic. It allows cropping, but that’s about it. Any additional manipulation would have to be done in a video editor. I have to admit giving up on iMovie so long ago, I don’t even know if it would do captions and speed adjustment, but it definitely allows dubbing.

[quote=275832:@Jakob Krabbe]

While we’re at it, do you know of a low cost tool (or free) to merge many PDF’s together into one?
I was looking at PDF Creator and/or PDF Architect, but while trying the software it turned out I was wrong…[/quote]

I am using this. Happy with it.
PDFMate Free PDF Merger

For Windows, Ashampoo Snap is my favorite one

[quote=275845:@Arthur Couture]RE PDF: these folks, PDFescape , offer an excellent online editor that will let you combine or remove pages for smaller jobs. We have used it for adding signed/re-scanned sections to agreements in PDF.

They also have a commercial package for sale, but I can’t vet it since we haven’t needed anything more complicated.

Arthur[/quote]
Excuse me for my bad and poor English!! :slight_smile:
When asking questions to techies, you really have to be careful…!! Really careful!!
This web page was absolutely perfect! Just to look at the “Page” and then “Append” to existing document. I added both photos and other PDF’s. Perfect!

I’m really curious to try the Desktop Recording Software given in the thread! But first, a wedding is coming up… :slight_smile: