Desktop or Web

Dear People:

I need to do a test app to convince my boss to buy a Xojo license for Windows platform.

If I succeed, I must choose between Desktop or Web. Besides our needs, which one you recommends? Any of then worst more than other? I mean which one has more features or detail or the staff put more efforts to improve it…

Thanks in advance,

[quote=176707:@Guillermo Vecchio Orta]Dear People:

I need to do a test app to convince my boss to buy a Xojo license for Windows platform.

If I succeed, I must choose between Desktop or Web. Besides our needs, which one you recommends? Any of then worst more than other? I mean which one has more features or detail or the staff put more efforts to improve it…[/quote]

Desktop and Web are two very different things. Do you know the kind of apps you are going to develop ?

Hi Michel,

I know every framework has pros and cons but, at this time, both web and desktop are useful to us.

Instead of choose based on a kind of apps to develop, I prefer to buy the most complete framework or the one with more “dedication” from Xojo staff.

If my boss buys this soft, it will be my responsibility to take advantage of this investment.

Sorry for my English…

Download Xojo and create your application
You can work on it without having to buy a license first

[quote=176711:@Guillermo Vecchio Orta]Hi Michel,

I know every framework has pros and cons but, at this time, both web and desktop are useful to us.

Instead of choose based on a kind of apps to develop, I prefer to buy the most complete framework or the one with more “dedication” from Xojo staff.

If my boss buys this soft, it will be my responsibility to take advantage of this investment.

Sorry for my English…[/quote]

Do not be sorry for your English. It is quite fine. Perro hay un canal Espanol tambien en este forum si necessario.

I do not quite understand how you can equate a framework that creates applications meant to execute on a machine, and another that is meant to run on a server and will be accessed thtough a browser connected to the Internet. Do you have a practical example of the applications you are going to develop ?

All of the platforms are actively developed.

Desktop is great if you are focused on desktop oriented apps.

Web is great if you are focused on web oriented apps.

It is all in what you are trying to accomplish. Design your application on paper. Figure out what would be required to accomplish each function (console, desktop, web, mobile or any) then look at where your design most heavily leans then look at those functions that do not fit that platform and see if they are vital or can be worked around.

Finally create your application in the IDE and see what works. You don’t have to pay anything until you are ready to build something.

Then make your purchase decision.

Thanks for your attention…

@Norman Palardy
Hi, Yes, I know that. But I want to develop my “test app” with the same framework that we will buy.

@Michel Bujardet
For example, an app to manage, through our intranet:
1- a Gateway GSM XML-API (actually we have something in Python)
2- a serials GSM devices (actually in PHP)
3- administratives task (actually in Access)

Maybe I forget something but I think that, at this time, is the same for us to develop client-server app or a web app. I’m from old school (MS-DOS, QBASIC, PASCAL, ETC). Yes, I’m old. I’m out of web development but, maybe, this is a good moment to learn about it without fill my head with php, javascript, css stuff (or maybe not).

@Bob Coleman

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

It is. The ONLY difference is that you can’t deploy. Otherwise it’s the real thing so you don’t have to spend any money upfront. Figure out if it’s for you, which target(s) you want to develop for, and THEN purchase towards the end for full testing purposes.

[quote=176719:@Guillermo Vecchio Orta]Thanks for your attention…

@Norman Palardy
Hi, Yes, I know that. But I want to develop my “test app” with the same framework that we will buy.

@Michel Bujardet
For example, an app to manage, through our intranet:
1- a Gateway GSM XML-API (actually we have something in Python)
2- a serials GSM devices (actually in PHP)
3- administratives task (actually in Access)

Maybe I forget something but I think that, at this time, is the same for us to develop client-server app or a web app. I’m from old school (MS-DOS, QBASIC, PASCAL, ETC). Yes, I’m old. I’m out of web development but, maybe, this is a good moment to learn about it without fill my head with php, javascript, css stuff (or maybe not).[/quote]

From what you tell me, 1 and 2 should be in Web Edition, and 3 looks probably better in Desktop.

Reading all the posts I understand that there is no great differences of quality, priority or continuity from de Xojo side between this two frameworks.

Sadly, we only has a budget for one edition =(

So, is up to me choose which one is better based on our needs.

Thanks a lot for all replies…I think I’ll ask a lot of questions in the future…Please, patience =)

Remember that the IDE comes with it all. No need to buy until you have tried all the targets for yourself and see what is required.

Without buying a license you can only run the program in the IDE
Buying a license allows you to compile a stand a lone executable

That’s the only difference

I agree with using the free ide to build a mock up app in web and desktop in which xojo can help you achieve in a few days.

Also, depending on what you are making, console can be used to make helper app for your main product.

Imo, desktop is the more mature product.

Makes sense, it has been here for a lot longer. But I still feel comparing desktop and WE is still like comparing apples and oranges, maturity aside. I would not compare, say, Internet Explorer to Excel…

From the sounds of it, I think Web is a pretty good way forward, one app that can be run on any machine with a web browser. Especially if it’s on an intranet.

Be sure to consider what your users are going to need. If the environment and business model allows your people to work someplace away from the office, the Web version is probably the way to go. The same goes if the people may be using tablets. However, is they will be working only from on-site desktop or laptop systems, you may be better off with the Desktop/Server version.

It’s one thing to consider the needs of the application(s) but don’t forget to consider how the application(s) will be accessed and used.

If you go with desktop be sure to use something like Kaju to keep all the workstations current. Failure to take into account the need to keep each workstation up to date can be a major pain point.

Something to keep in mind about web apps is the browser. Many corporate IT departments dictate a particular browser, usually one very old. The best web apps pretty much require up to date browsers. So be sure to consider the browser your colleagues will use when making your decision.