Desktop app to Web app

Last few weeks I’ve been porting (part) my Desktop app, RVCare Log Book, to a web app, RVCare Web Log.

Copy things from the desktop app to the web app did fair to say the most. Somethings just wouldn’t. It would be nice if Xojo had shown an error message instead of just not doing it. Xojo is kind of flakey that way.

Not sure what do with it now. If I offer some type of subscription service I’ll need to figure out how to tie user to database; with all the controls that come with that. Plus lot of other stuff.

Link: to web site.

Looks good to me.

Looks good and responds well. What things aren’t working well? In what areas is Xojo ‘flakey’?

With a login system you’re already set up for subscriptions. You may want to allocate each login permissions to certain functions. On login, if that function is not available, it can be made invisible, show greyed, or display a message box if clicked.

I too have begun converting my desktop apps to the Web. I started with a simple text sorting app and modelled it on a very plain white background to every object with light blue text and grey icons. I also managed to embed the WebApp inside a Xojo desktop app as a Helper app. You can see it here . I like the fact that both my desktop and web app share the same core code.

Login Name: Test
Password: 123

Remember to use a standard port for live web apps.

Why, in particular?

Surely 443 for all https and over 1024 for any other port is OK on your own VM. Leaving 3306 alone for MySQL, 1433 for MSSQL and 5432 for PostgreSQL, plus a few more basic ones, and the rest is fairly open slather.

It should not be terribly difficult to maintain a subscribers database with the expiration date of the subscription, name, password, etc.

Security settings on some browsers, firewalls, and network admins.

I appreciate all the comments.

Current that site does not have an SSL certificate, I will get one if I go ahead with this project.

Each user would have their own database. Currently I’ve only done the basic functions. My desktop app has seventeen different functions. For example “Fuel Use”, “Trip Information”, “Campground Information”, etc. These would be addition subscription add on.

[quote=287526:@Jim Smith]I appreciate all the comments.

Current that site does not have an SSL certificate, I will get one if I go ahead with this project.

Each user would have their own database. Currently I’ve only done the basic functions. My desktop app has seventeen different functions. For example “Fuel Use”, “Trip Information”, “Campground Information”, etc. These would be addition subscription add on.[/quote]

Jim, currently the link you posted doesn’t work. Regardless, I am very interested in looking at the Web app once you get it up as wife and I will be hitting the road next year as new full-time RVers.

Drop me a message when it’s operational pls.

Have no idea why it was not working. Have re-built and uploaded and it’s working now.

link text

http://www.jimsmithsoftware.com/cgi-bin/rvcareweblog/rvcareweblog.cgi

Hi Jim
Nice site. I’m impressed with the response times, as I’m in New Zealand .
What’s hosting your back end?

A VM or dedicated pc? What sort of spec? Linux etc

I’m curious because my site is slower compared to yours and I’m wondering if it’s just my very basic spec. But I also know that my code loading data is a bit verbose. So again curious as to how much grunt you’re throwing at you app. If it’s not that big I know my code needs some work.

It’s really great seeing such a snappy responsive xojo app.

Cheers James

A quick note for you. Just for your info on your app.
I had tested your app logging in as demo.
While I was posting this on my iPad I had your app open in another tab. When I went back to it , your app had nicely gone to a web page after presumably timing out (on a mobile device). So I hit the back button, and got the xojo launching icon. It stayed on this for about 30 seconds and nothing happened, and I thought it was my browser.
So I refreshed your site and got a 500 error.
I can’t access your site at all now so it may be down

Regards James

Seems Jim has some leak in his app. I see the 500 error here.

Someone else mentioned a 500 error above.

[quote=288531:@James Nicholson-Plank]
Nice site. I’m impressed with the response times, as I’m in New Zealand .
What’s hosting your back end?[/quote]
I’m using Phillip Xedalis’s ServerWarp. I’m very happy with with his service.

[quote=288538:@Michel Bujardet]

Seems Jim has some leak in his app. I see the 500 error here.[/quote]
Michel, what do I need to look for to stop leaks?

That is the million dollars question. From what I see in this thread, your app seems to run into trouble after a while, which does seem to indicate a leak somewhere.

My own solution since I could never find where the issue was in one of my apps was to use a timer to quit the app every night at 3:00 AM. It is a cgi app like yours, so it restarts automatically any time a new user comes along.

Nice Jim, congratulations mate. I’m also thinking to go this route for a new project, leaving the “desktop” version as basically a web browser with no titlebar.

I know This thread is a couple of years old, but a related question…
If you were to start an app for small business with a database in the cloud and a web app to access it as a gateway.

Would you create a web app or a desktop app .
Ie I get the impression that desktop apps that work with remote databases have a better ui experience, speed etc. but will always be hard to update with new versions.

Compared to

A web app which is great to update, but the ui is alway a little clunky .

In your experience what do users prefer ?

Thanks in advance
James

An interesting question. I look at the likes of Xero who make “beautiful accounting software” that is web centric however for iOS & Android they have apps to avoid the web UI. Or Microsoft (yes I know they are the evil of the world), but they have Outlook online + apps for iOS, MacOS, Windows & Android.

My business is focused on desktop apps that integrate with Xero, why - because Xero is magnificent for very low utilising users, but after that their API is brilliant as it allows for that next level of user/company.

My thought is that web apps will become more api servers to locally installed GUI apps, just as they have in the mobile market.

The browser market is too fragmented to easily support and as you mention doesn’t have the sophistication of a native GUI design.