Designing a Screen

At any rate, 4 GB for Xojo is akin to the proverbial glass slipper : real tight. If any other app or if the system requires some memory, the IDE ends up with the bare minimum.

That is not a good idea, since I suspect the IDE does require the 3.5 GB maximum under Windows to work, especially when moving around several controls. It can also be an issue when trying to run, as the debug program may itself require memory that is already scarce.

It would be a good idea to switch to Windows 64 bit and expand the RAM.

I trust Wayne Golding as one of our prominent Windows developers to give good advice.

Heck, even 8GB could probably give some respite. I have no idea about the machine with 4GB, but it looks like a laptop. Heck, on Amazon, 4GB is usually less than 30 bucks and Windows 7 64 bits less than $100. When one is able to afford an SSD, that’s peanuts…

I have seen that problem before where there are a large number of controls in a window/webpage.

One trick you can try is to hide the navigator after selecting your window (hover your mouse cursor to the right of “Contents” & click “Hide”) this will close all the detail from any other windows etc. Once you select the first control the navigator will open a minimum selection. It seems that the amount of detail in the navigator does slow down the IDE’s ability to find the object & highlight it.

For a number of reasons I break my UI into multiple containers especially when using a tab or page panel. This allows me to work with a subset of the controls and I can encapsulate code where multiple controls interact with each other. Where these controls are placed on page/tab panels I also get the advantage of being able to select a group of controls by dragging the mouse over the area rather than the point & click selection required when they are placed on another control.

I know this is a work around, but hopefully when the IDE is released it’s 64bit build these problems will become less obvious. Of course you’ll need to upgrade your OS to take advantage of that too.

Also the IDE does get dirty over a period of time, close it (totally including the LR) and reopen it periodically.

1. No obvious change by changing the page size from 16, 100, 300, 500MB (reboots every time)
  2. Slow performance only when the project size is going big

I started to use Xojo for a few months only. The experience was great, helpful guys from customer support and people from this forum, this lead me from a total newbie to now, I have created a web app (although still not deploy yet) running with a firebird database. But I felt really disappointed in this post, I think I should not have created this post. Someone personal, someone think I have purpose to do this, someone think I am telling lie … I really don’t know whats wrong with it :frowning:

@Wayne, yes, by dragging the mouse over the area, it works better, thanks, but there still sometimes need to select them one by one. I tried to hide the navigator, but when I click on a control, it shows up automatically. I have already divided my major screen with containers by showing them dynamically at run time, if I placed them all in design time, it performs very very slow.

btw, do you think is a display card problem?

@Michel, my version of Clarion can only run on 32-bit Windows, that’s not a matter of money! Please, I am not a clown!

Is it possible that there is something wrong inside the folder? Cached files or something else I don’t know. Because I copied the whole folder from my notebook to my office PC, and both machines show the same symptom.

You could try the command Del %temp% which will clear out the temp files that Xojo creates. Also what plugins are you loading with the IDE?

@Tony: never be sorry for asking. It could be you, your computer or something else. Sometimes issues are a bit harder to pinpoint. And you never know if only you are affected or not.

Tony, I never said you were a clown. Please don’t be so aggressive. If you had explained you Clarion thing in the first place, I would have never suggested.

I am sorry if I came out too strongly, but if you react so strongly every time someone voices an opinion, all you will achieve will be people avoiding you.

Now I am not a clown either, and will ignore this thread :confused:

Good luck.

The great thing about modern versions of Windows is the built in Hyper-v support, so if your version of Clarion will only run on 32 bit OS then you can create a 32bit VM to run that product. No third party software required.

@Wayne, only 2 extra plugins, Einhugur date and search controls. But sorry, I can’t find where the temp files are, I only found some empty folders under /user/appdata/local/temp/xojo scratch.

English is not my first language, I apologize to all of you if I expressed myself or interpreted your messages wrongly.

I am having a hard time fathoming this problem… 2-3 seconds per pixel is 20 minutes to move across the screen
I have never had any screen no matter how complex show the slightest lag

I believe it resides under \Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Xojo

Something else is going on here. I’ve got a 6 year old MacPro and moving stuff around is instantaneously. Just checked my most complicated screens (1 container with 50 controls on a page panel, 1 window with several containers, lots of labels, about 100 controls or so).

@Dave: how much RAM does Xojo use? Can you analyze the process in Activity Monitor? Is the speed better after restarting Xojo?

It’s not moving stuff, just selecting multiple objects on the window/container using the modifier key. There is definitely something not right here in the windows space. For example if you select a control, then hold the key while selecting another control the second control won’t be highlighted until you release the modifier key. However if you progress this out it takes longer & longer to highlight each control as selected. And worse the more controls on the page/window/container the longer the IDE takes to catch up.

There is a definite IDE bug here, but one that is very hard to reproduce without a large (if more than 10 is large) number of controls on your screen. And possibly requires a computer running windows on the metal, not a vm where OSX will buffer the results.

I can reproduce this on my current project on Windows 10 x64 with 16GB ram and windows reports the IDE is using just 330MB - just a little short of the 3.5GB max that a 32bit app can access.

So @Tony Lam I can reproduce this, but don’t bump into the issue because of the way I use Xojo. Or should I say I very rarely select controls using the control key so don’t experience your issue.

My experience is it seems to relate to the number of items (I don’t know how to call them) on the navigator bar. If you have only one page/container in the project, even if there are many controls in it, it still reacts very fast. However, if there are many “items”, mine have over 10 folders to classify items, in which there are around 20 pages/containers, 4 databases and some custom controls, then the IDE reacts slowly, and it looks like the IDE is refreshing the whole screen while I am selecting multiple controls.