Designer for BKeeney Shorts reporting tool

Conditional Formatting is now row based. You just give any items you want to call in code a unique name and then use that name in the script. Any item can affect any other item in the row.

Quick look Sorry for the grainy video.

@Dirk Cleenwerck I haven’t played with the RTF field yet. I’ll try and take a look at it.

@Dirk Cleenwerck

Certainly doable within the limitations of FTC

Quick look

Several people have private messaged me and expressed interest in purchasing source or purchasing this as a product so I thought it would be a good idea to share my simple roadmap.

I will open source the code when it is in a more mature state. This project, for me, is about fun. I’ve had 16+ usually good, sometimes frustrating, years in this community. Overall the best group I’ve been involved with online. I’d like to give something back.

To be clear, the Designer will be open sourced. Shorts itself will still be a purchased product.

Yes. Shorts is required and well worth the purchase. The Designer is targeted for fairly simple banded output. Shorts in its raw form can produce just about any report you can imagine with a little practice. [quote] [/quote]

Congratulatons @Peter Fargo.

I think the community has eyes on you, that’s good. I wish you the best for the product and I’m sure the community looks with good eyes this tool, is needed.

Good work! :wink:

Limit your clients access to the database with…

Schema Filtering

Conditional Formatting Scripts
short video

I’m about ready for some outside testing. Please PM me if you are interested.

I’m working on a new project, I have a license Bkeeney Shorts
I’m ready for testing

BTW, 1.5 of Shorts was released this week. We now ship with the Report Designer and the Demo project shows it in use.

I have a lengthy video on how to use the Report Designer and I have another lengthy video on how to integrate into your own projects. Home Page: http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/

Just watched the vids. This is amazing. Really amazing. Bob, you mentioned on your blog about being able to run a report on Web defined by the Desktop. This would be huge.

Thanks. The ability to do this on a desktop app will come out in a new build tomorrow. And just to be clear this is for folks that don’t want a report designer embedded in their app but want the convenience of defining the report in the designer and just saving the string either in the project or on a disk file and being able to render it much later.

I don’t expect it to be a huge deal getting this to work on a web app but it’s something that I’ve not even started on yet so I don’t know what challenges I’m going to run into.

With no football on Sunday (go Chiefs on Saturday afternoon) I might take a crack at this.

After my Texans get done with your Chiefs, you not going to feel like working! :wink:

Seriously, I’m just happy the Chiefs got into the playoffs after a 1-5 start (oh, wait, that one win was against who?). I might not feel like working anyway since I’ll be so delirious over the Chiefs win. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been playing with Shorts v1.5 and it is a major upgrade to the previous version. And you add the Report Designer on top of that, it is an even bigger upgrade. I am glad I bought Shorts.

@Bob Keeney I have a question for you. I have not looked at the code yet. I should then I would know the answer myself. But, if I design a report in the Report Designer (that may or may not be in my app), save the report to a file (it is just JSON, correct?) then can my app load up that file and run the report without having the Report Designed embeded?

Here is why I ask. I have an app that reports would be awesome in. But the data owner doesnt want the minions creating a bazillion random reports that do nothing but chew up database time/resources. They want to have a handful (and the number will grow with time) of "cannned’ reports that people can run via the app. And if the minions need a new report they can go to her and get her to design a new report for them. Part of the problem is the database scheme is well how can I put this without being offensive? total crap. it has been “updated” and “tweaked” over the years by "DBA"s that really arent DBAs. I am more of a DBA then they are and I am not a DBA. So some of the fields/tables/data is confusing if you dont have the master decoder ring.

thanks for the advice!
thanks for a great product!
sb

Correct, it’s just a JSON string.

I’ve modified code just this week that will do this. Originally there were some dependencies on the Designer but I’ve since removed them, and changed some classes so that you can create the report from just the definition.

I’ve put a new example in the demo of how to do this. Assuming no major catastrophe’s happen I will release a new version tomorrow.

There is an event in the Designer (check the documentation as it’s one of the few public methods of the DesignerCC) that will allow you to filter which tables/views you let them have access to (return true to exclude it from the list). It’s pretty common to have Reporting Views that combine a bunch of different tables into one big view to make life easier on the minions.

that is awesome to hear.

Just released version1.5.1 that adds a new demo on creating a report from just the report definition. Also enables MySQL, PosgreSQL, and ODBC db servers automatically. Some minor bug fixes too.

If you want to see the Report Designer in action we have a couple of videos for you:
Report Designer in Action: http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/shorts-designer-in-action/
Integrating it into your App: http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/integrating-shorts-report-designer/