Deployment Check

Can someone confirm the that this site comes up: http://eddie.greatbear.ch, it has taken me all of about 15 mins to deploy it as a standalone app on a shared hosting plan. I know the map is not working, but I will be very impressed if it remains up over night!

Works over here in Seattle James.

Works in Paris.

Working in th UK, seems reasonable on speed as well.

You may find https://whatsmydns.net useful in the future :slight_smile:

Works fine here in the Netherlands.

Works fine! And if you consider 9 hours to be over night…Yhaii :slight_smile:

OK! Thanks everyone. I am once again impressed by XOJO :-). So for anyone who needs it:

• It is running on Webfaction’s $10 shared plan (I’ve run a few local community wordpress sites there for a few years now)

• I created an custom application, as described on the their website.

• Once I was assigned the port number, I compiled the application setting the default port to this number.

• I uploaded the application to the hosting site, created a corn job that runs every so often to ensure the custom application is running and if not it restarts it.

• The final step was to create what they call a website, which is simply a mapping of urls to the local port. After that all requests to that url are forwarded to the local port.

So the application is running standalone and listening on a local port, thus it is not directly exposed to the internet. As I said already, I’ve only spent a very short time on this but it looks promising. The host offers both local and shared database instances (MySQL & Postgres). But so far I have only used it for WP sites.

Hopefully I will get around to doing some more exploring over the Christmas period.

[quote=295953:@James Dooley]- The final step was to create what they call a website, which is simply a mapping of urls to the local port. After that all requests to that url are forwarded to the local port.

So the application is running standalone and listening on a local port, thus it is not directly exposed to the internet.[/quote]
Be careful, Unless they’re using a reverse proxy or a load balancer here, that’s exactly what you have (an app directly exposed to the internet).

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that point I’m not privy to their implementation, but in order to expose a port to the internet you need to indicate this requirement on the setup form or request their admin to change it afterwards for you. So I assume they have implemented one of the suggest you mentioned.

James.

[quote=295978:@James Dooley]Hi Greg,

Thanks for that point I’m not privy to their implementation, but in order to expose a port to the internet you need to indicate this requirement on the setup form or request their admin to change it afterwards for you. So I assume they have implemented one of the suggest you mentioned.

James.[/quote]
I suggest that you ask. They may simply have opened a port in a firewall for you.

Hi Greg,

Got the response back from Webfaction, yes they use a reverse proxy for the custom applications.

[quote=296125:@James Dooley]Hi Greg,

Got the response back from Webfaction, yes they use a reverse proxy for the custom applications.[/quote]
Good to hear.