Deploying a Xojo built CGI, I have a bunch of questions.

Background:
I’ve built a custom serial number generator and I want to host it, so that online stores can use web hooks to call it and generate serial numbers. Eventually it will do a lot more, but this is the first phase. The second is to use a SQL database to keep a record of each and every serial number to generates.

So now I’m looking at hosting it. I currently pay GoDaddy for web hosting, I have a “Deluxe Classic Hosting With Linux”. I have bags of room and currently 25 SQL databases available, with unlimited bandwidth. Does anyone know if I can already use what I have? (I guess this means I’m going to have to target Linux…). If so what’s the experience like?

I’d like to use Xojo Cloud, but at the moment the $49 a month fee is far too high.

If I can’t use what I have with GoDaddy, are they any recommendations? I’m looking to spend as little as possible (at least for the moment, but that may change if everything goes well), and yet have a pretty reliable service that’s easy for me to work with.

Well, after writing this, I decided to try GoDaddy, I used the CGI application template and example code to make a little app that should return “Hello World”, instead I get.

[code]Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.[/code]
So I guess, there’s either something I don’t know about that I need to change or it’s a bit fat no!

Make sure you chmod 755 the CGI and binary executable.

Thanks Phillip, had done once I uploaded it. Hold on what do you mean cgi & executable? From Xojo I get a single executable (which I added the .cgi extension), a libs folder with two .so files (which I also marked as executable once uploaded). Am I missing something?

You shouldn’t add the CGI extension. You should select CGI mode when compiling and it will produce an executable and .cgi file to match. You can chmod using most SFTP clients.

Ah!.. hmmm… Maybe I shouldn’t have used the “CGIApplication.xojo_binary_project” template?

Trying a web project now…

Still doesn’t work :frowning: However after poking around in GoDaddy’s settings I found the error logs.
Here’s what I get when I try to run a Web application. ( I stripped the date & IP address )

Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at /home/content/s/a/m/samrowlands/html/xojo/testapp/testapp.cgi line 118. Premature end of script headers: testapp.cgi Failed to find/load Framework library /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /home/content/s/a/m/samrowlands/html/xojo/testapp/testapp Libs/RBConsoleFramework.so)
Now here’s what I get from the using the CGIApplication template.

Failed to find/load Framework library /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /home/content/s/a/m/samrowlands/html/xojo/testapp/testapp Libs/RBConsoleFramework.so) Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at /home/content/s/a/m/samrowlands/html/xojo/testapp/testapp.cgi line 118. Premature end of script headers: testapp.cgi

So it seems that the Xojo Framework requires a library that is not installed on GoDaddy’s servers, unless there is an option somewhere to enable it?

Okay, so I called GoDaddy… It’s a no go as they don’t have GLIBC installed on shared hosting, the only way I can get this installed is to have dedicated hosting, at $200 a month!

So that ends my dream and fast, unless there’s somewhere else I should be looking for hosting? I would love to use Xojo, but at the moment I can’t warrant $600 a year just to generate serial numbers, mind you, not that I can warrant $2,400 at GoDaddy either.

To get something you an get the level of control you need you might need a VPS
Shared hosting often gives you much less control (as you’ve found)
A VPS lets you configure the server as if it were your own machine so you can dictate what version of Linux, what libs etc etc etc because it IS your server (a VM basically thats YOURS)
But VPS isn’t “cheap” like shared hosting can be

Yeah here is lies my problem, all I want to do is to move away from eSellerate, but in a way that I’m never tied to a particular ‘store’ system again.

So I thought the solution would be to create my own serial number generation system (and eventually my own activation system).

Because eSellerate’s fees are higher than others (we’re paying 9~11%), I was hoping that from the one product that we’re going to roll out this system too, we’d be able to cover the cost of Xojo hosting… Alas, Xojo hosting is 3x the amount that we’ll save by moving to a competing service.

So I really need to take some time out and evaluate all my options. In the mean time, does anyone use any other hosting than Xojo Cloud, how much is a month/year and what are your thoughts on it?

I’ve seen people on here giving 1701 Web hosting good reviews. I have not tried it though.
http://www.1701software.com/webhosting.php

We use a VPS A from iPeer.se with great results :slight_smile:
http://cdn.ipeerhosting.com/linux-vps.php
We also have an ECS from them but they can get expensive over time.

@Phillip Zedalis, Oh man! that’s a nice site and your pricing looks about right for my budget! I love the fact that you don’t just say you support Xojo, you’re here supporting us mere mortals!

So far I’m really excited about http://www.1701software.com/webhosting.php, but I will continue my research.

We use HostEurope with Ubuntu boxes:
https://www.hosteurope.de/en/Server/Virtual-Server/

Plus a small one in Switzerland, German only: http://www.speed-net.ch/de/vserver/vps-hosting

All work fine with standalone and/or cgi webapps

[quote=130381:@Sam Rowlands]@Phillip Zedalis, Oh man! that’s a nice site and your pricing looks about right for my budget! I love the fact that you don’t just say you support Xojo, you’re here supporting us mere mortals!

So far I’m really excited about http://www.1701software.com/webhosting.php, but I will continue my research.[/quote]

Try to help when I can. :slight_smile:

[quote=130381:@Sam Rowlands]@Phillip Zedalis, Oh man! that’s a nice site and your pricing looks about right for my budget! I love the fact that you don’t just say you support Xojo, you’re here supporting us mere mortals!

So far I’m really excited about http://www.1701software.com/webhosting.php, but I will continue my research.[/quote]

I have been with 1701 for over a year, and Phillip has always been here for me. Especially, I appreciate him being a Xojo developer, and a member of this forum. As far as I know, none of the other companies are able to do the same. Apart from XC, or course :wink:

Yes very nice specs and pricing. Love you have seperate servers depending on the continent you are on!

I used to have a bunch of CGI apps on my hosted server (SiteGround.com), but they complained that I was taking up too much CPU time and cancelled me without warning twice until I moved to their dedicated server! They also have a limit on the permissions of any executable file, and I have been unable to get my CGI apps to run. I still use them for multiple web sites, but embed my CGI in an iFrame running on a Mac mini through macminicolo for $35 per month. No CPU, RAM, permission or drive space issues for me now!