Dependencies for compiled apps?

Hi folks.

I’m new to Xojo and will be using it on Windows doing dev work for Windows. I’m wondering when you compile and app and make it available or into an EXE, does Xojo have a way to insure you have all necessary DLL’s, or any external files / other needed dependancies included in the setup ? I take it there is a setup? I’ve just not had time to look at all of the docs yet and I’m so into the development and learning syntax, etc, that I hoped it was ok to ask here.
Thanks so much in advance and I’m sure you’ll get more dev type questions from me soon.

Regards
Tim

I asked a similar question a year ago and was informed that all of the dependencies were packaged up with the app, however I am not sure how this is done on windows executables. Maybe the usual process of spreading as many DLLs and support files far and wide as possible

[quote=187623:@Tim Smallwood]Hi folks.

I’m new to Xojo and will be using it on Windows doing dev work for Windows. I’m wondering when you compile and app and make it available or into an EXE, does Xojo have a way to insure you have all necessary DLL’s, or any external files / other needed dependancies included in the setup ? I take it there is a setup? I’ve just not had time to look at all of the docs yet and I’m so into the development and learning syntax, etc, that I hoped it was ok to ask here.
Thanks so much in advance and I’m sure you’ll get more dev type questions from me soon.

Regards
Tim[/quote]

You are overcomplicating what is inherently simple. When you build the a program, Xojo create an exe, plus a Libs folder which contains all the required DLLs, and a Resources folder which contains all files you dragged into the project. All that contains all is needed for your program to work fine.

if you use declare command, you may have additional dependencies.

[quote=187623:@Tim Smallwood]Hi folks.

Regards
Tim[/quote]
Keep in mind that Xojo doesn’t build a Windows Installer for you. For that you’ll need to use one of the many 3rd Party installer generation applications like InnoSetup (free) or AdvancedInstaller ($).

We have a good blog post about Windows installers: http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/06/creating-installers-for-windows-apps.php

Thank you folks so much. Much appreciated. I’ve been playing with xojo and just love it so far!