Demo xojo cloud account?

Hi,

I’d like to ask if Xojo Inc. could provide test accounts for xojo cloud. Maybe offer them to

• everyone
  • people with Web/Pro license.
  • only to Pro licensees.

the demo would allow people to deploy to a shared test server with some limitations

• disk space limited to 1 GB
  • URL unpredictable with some random string inside, e.g. a number
  • app is deleted after 24 hours
  • limited bandwidth
  • server is shared with other people’s test projects, so it may be slower.
  • no SSL

But this would help people to quickly test something or present a web app running to client without actually buying a server package.

I hope you consider such an idea.

That kinda defeats the purpose of all the security. They are not intended to be a shared server.

+1 for a test account. Christian was making a proposal, nothing more. For testing this could be acceptable. But the price is waaaayy to high to go blind into the cloud.

IMO if Xojo Cloud could eventually offer more economical packages for hosting they could potentially greatly increase their fan base.

I can currently host a relatively advanced PHP website, with access to 2 MySQL databases for $1 per month, uncapped bandwith, and then have the option upgrade the hosting package as needed.

The point I’m trying to make is that LAMP is very well established in the hosting world, and shared hosting is a big industry. I realize Xojo is serving a very niche market with Xojo Cloud, and I’m sure their existing fans are well aware of the benefits that the Xojo language brings to the table in terms of web development… but having economical hosting options could only increase their business reach IMO.

+1 for the test account
It can be for Web/Pro users, with limited disk space (even 512Mb)

Web/Pro users could break security??

Easily, but you’d only put demo apps there so who cares?

There is currently nothing to prevent one app from deleting another or reading another app’s support files, so for now this is not possible. I’d suggest a feature request in Feedback, and get some people to add it to their ranked cases.

[quote=70792:@Alwyn Bester]IMO if Xojo Cloud could eventually offer more economical packages for hosting they could potentially greatly increase their fan base.

I can currently host a relatively advanced PHP website, with access to 2 MySQL databases for $1 per month, uncapped bandwith, and then have the option upgrade the hosting package as needed.

The point I’m trying to make is that LAMP is very well established in the hosting world, and shared hosting is a big industry. I realize Xojo is serving a very niche market with Xojo Cloud, and I’m sure their existing fans are well aware of the benefits that the Xojo language brings to the table in terms of web development… but having economical hosting options could only increase their business reach IMO.[/quote]
Tell that to Rackspace. Xojo’s prices are based on what Rackspace offers for appropriate virtual private servers. Besides, to an extent, you get what you pay for. A $1 per month hosting sounds… scary. How could they possibly care about you at that cost? They could make a decision and burn 100 customers, and it’d only cost them $100 per month. If Xojo did so, it would cost them a minimum of $5000 per month. All other things being equal, that fact alone says a lot about the decisions a company could make and your value to the company.

And all those other things are certainly NOT equal.

Fair enough. I’m just highlighting that the web hosting industry is very competitive, and to attract potential clients, pricing do play an important factor, regardless of the reasons why or why not pricing is set at certain levels.

I’ve been hosting with them for 3 years and their services are exceptional. I’ve probably had no more than 1 hour of downtime in total during the 3 years, and whenever there is downtime, their response is near instant when resolving issues.

http://www.gridhost.co.za/web-hosting-cpanel
(Rand:Dollar = 10:1, so divide any price roughly by 10 to get the dollar value).

Although it is a South African company, they simply just outsource the hosting to data centers in the US and Europe.

I don’t think they make their money on selling thousands of $1 hosting packages. They make their money with the additional services they provide (e.g. SSL, more diskspace, more email accounts etc).

The $1 packages are really only to get their foot in the door with new prospect clients. It is cheap enough for the small guy to try out, but their product range is broad enough to cater for the big guy as well.

I’m just saying… sometimes small fish grows into big fish with time. And if you have economical packages, you can potentially generate a lot of new business in the long run.

It’s like comparing a $300 Dell laptop to a $3000 MacBook Pro. They’re both going to do work, but they can’t really be compared.

Dell is pretty good when it comes to rackmount servers…

I have no experience in their server department, but after dealing with numerous of their “business level” computers, I wouldn’t trust Dell with a safety pencil and a circle of paper.

Neither do have extensive experience with Dell, but the few times I used their products I couldn’t complain.

Sounds like you had an experience similar to the one I had a few years back with HP. Recently decided to give HP another shot, so will see if this time round the experience is better.

Correction… (post editing doesn’t seem to work)

“Neither do I have extensive experience…”

With Subway I managed 3 Dells and 20 HPs. We kept ordering from HP because our experience was good. Our experience with Dell was so bad, it should be criminal.

On all 3 - different models - their motherboards would die after almost exactly a year of use. Even the replacements. When the first went out of warranty and needed to be replaced, Dell refused to help. We were willing to pay for a new board and install it ourselves, but they wouldn’t sell it without a service plan. And we couldn’t get a service plan without an inspection. And of course we couldn’t pass an inspection. So they wouldn’t help. I found one on eBay and we began replacing all 3 machines.

I’ve never seen a company so unwilling to help. I’ve heard of unreasonable support, but a straight up “no we won’t help you at all” is pretty insane.

The objective of Xojo Cloud is to provide the best overall value. To us that means accessible to a wide audience and lowest total cost of ownership. The average VPS service requires knowledge beyond what most Xojo users care to obtain. They want to focus on their application development, not becoming a server administrator. So we made it zero configuration, extremely easy to deploy, require no maintenance, have awesome security, etc. That’s a LOT of value. Put another way, if the average user with a cheap hosting service spends just an hour each month dealing with their server, they are probably spending more overall than they would with Xojo Cloud.

The security features of Xojo Cloud alone would be prohibitively expensive for most users to set up on their own. We make it economical for you because each server is the same (from a software configuration point of view). When we discussed our server security with the cloud team at Rackspace, they laughed and said, “Only our most paranoid customers have this level of security.” That’s not surprising because to have great security, you need to be paranoid about it.

Getting hacked can cost a company thousands and thousands of dollars. While no system is impenetrable, the security in Xojo Cloud is far better than most. The cheap hosting services effectively provide no security at all. If you are hacked, any savings from a cheap hosting service will be lost. The break-even point could be years away.

When you consider the total cost of ownership, Xojo Cloud is far less expensive than just about any other solution.

[quote=70836:@Thom McGrath]Tell that to Rackspace. Xojo’s prices are based on what Rackspace offers for appropriate virtual private servers. Besides, to an extent, you get what you pay for. A $1 per month hosting sounds… scary. How could they possibly care about you at that cost? They could make a decision and burn 100 customers, and it’d only cost them $100 per month. If Xojo did so, it would cost them a minimum of $5000 per month. All other things being equal, that fact alone says a lot about the decisions a company could make and your value to the company.

And all those other things are certainly NOT equal.[/quote]

It can be argued that Dell cares MORE about the customer. Maybe they don’t feel customers should pay 4x as much for equivalent hardware?

Pricing is part value, part “what kind of customers do you want?” Rackspace does not want customers who want to spend less than $400/year on hosting and apparently neither does Xojo.

That has nothing at all to do with how much Dell, Apple, Rackspace, or Xojo cares about you.

+1 for demo VPS account.

Since Xojo Cloud will be VPS (but with better-than-typical security), I understood the use of the word “shared” in the original post to mean a VPS account. Specifically, the demo account wouldn’t be shared simultaneously with anyone (i.e., not a shared server) but when the resources expired in 24 hours, the demo account would be automatically wiped clean (not just deleted) and the resources freed up for the next demo account.

I am planning to eventually get a VPS account but money is an issue plus I don’t know how to evaluate these VPS companies. Currently thinking of either Rackspace or DigitalOcean (and maybe Linode). Rackspace seems too pricey (but not out of the question). DigitalOcean seems too good to be true.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried AWS Free Usage Tier? It looks like a pain to set up. Any idea if it would work? This wouldn’t be a permanent solution, only a way to test during development to make sure everything works okay.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/