Define Class as WebContainer

I added a class to my project and set its super to WebContainer. However, the class does not behave like a WebContainer. No layout mode.
Is it really so that a WebContainer can’t be defined that way? Using R3.

Drag a web container from the library to the navigator.

Thanks, Greg. I am well aware of that. But I stumbled over the fact that I can have a class with super WebContainer that behaves differently than a second class of super WebContainer. The only difference is that one was dragged from the library and the other one defined as it is normal to define classes and subclasses.

I find this to be confusing and if I can’t define a class as being a real, proper, working WebContainer, why would the IDE let me define a class with that super in first place?

When you do it that way, you’re defining a subclass that you can add methods and properties to. You’re defining additional logic and an API that you can then use to create UI instances that contain the logic of your subclass. Same as with Window and ContainerControl. You can’t create a subclass with UI, only logic/properties. But that can be VERY useful to do.

Thanks Tim.
I can add properties and methods to the ContainerControl that I dragged from the Library too. I can also subclass that very ContainerControl. The only difference I see so far is the icon and that I cannot place controls onto the ContainerControl that wasn’t dragged from the Library. Subclassing a ContainerControl dragged from the Library compiles and works (but produces some funky stuff).

I can drag a ContainerControl from the library and tell it to be a subclass of another ContainerControl that I just dragged from the Library.
That subclassed ContainerControl allows me to add more controls, whiles it does not display the controls inherited from the parent.

I can add a new fresh class, define it to be a subclass of a that subclass just defined above. That all compiles and runs. It just behaves differently in the IDE. This is what confuses me.

[quote=37816:@Roland Vögtli]I can drag a ContainerControl from the library and tell it to be a subclass of another ContainerControl that I just dragged from the Library.
That subclassed ContainerControl allows me to add more controls, whiles it does not display the controls inherited from the parent.[/quote]
That sounds like a bug in the new IDE. It shouldn’t let you do that.

UI is not ineritable