Debugging

To assist debugging my WE app I’ve been running it using Run Paused then launching the debug article. This gives me a terminal screen that I can write to from the app using stdout.writeline. I’m doing this due to System.Debuglog not writing to the log pane on the IDE.

What I’ve been seeing are extra warning messages e.g. Warning: WebControl.Close cannot be used…

I like that these messages are appearing (although it’s pretty hard to use them for debugging), but I’m wondering what’s the point if they’re not visible to normal debugging? Or is this specific to debugging on Windows?

Is it possible to set the IDE to consider these bugs & break at that point during execution?

Waw thanks for the great tip on Run Paused! I was wondering for some time why we could not get the console window when debugging. In my WE apps, a lot of the code is JavaScript so I use the developer tools of the browser to debug that. As for the WE Xojo part, any help to the (limited) debug capabilities is very welcome!

I haven’t seen those ‘Warning: WebControl.Close…’ messages yet, but they are probably in the Xojo FrameWork.js part on the browsers side. Maybe the same developer tools from the browser can help?

[quote=136592:@Wayne Golding]To assist debugging my WE app I’ve been running it using Run Paused then launching the debug article. This gives me a terminal screen that I can write to from the app using stdout.writeline. I’m doing this due to System.Debuglog not writing to the log pane on the IDE.

What I’ve been seeing are extra warning messages e.g. Warning: WebControl.Close cannot be used…

I like that these messages are appearing (although it’s pretty hard to use them for debugging), but I’m wondering what’s the point if they’re not visible to normal debugging? Or is this specific to debugging on Windows?

Is it possible to set the IDE to consider these bugs & break at that point during execution?[/quote]

After finding out that debuglog was broken in Xojo Web on Windows, I started using DebugView :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

It works just perfectly, pretty much like the Mac Console :slight_smile: And it even brings more information than what Xojo provides when it works :wink:

Hi Michel

I was using DebugView with RS, so I’m not new to the technology. I’m simply wondering why Xojo felt they had to warn me of these issues, while making it very hard to see these warnings. And more why doesn’t the IDE treat these as break errors?

I’m really waiting for a response from Xojo, but thanks for your input.

Could you give the entire text of the error?

Hi Greg

Sure its

“Warning: WebControl.Close cannot be used on design-time controls. See the documentation for more details.”

Ah, okay. Those messages are supposed to show up in the Messages in the IDE when you do a debug run. The fact that they don’t is a bug.

I’d appreciate it if you could file a bug report so I can get that fixed.