Debugger doesn't work

Except you don’t have the stack trace in there.

Whats that? The hidden switch?

If you are talking about the stack trace. It is the third panel in the debugger. It shows what methods and events got you to the point in the code you are currently stopped at. For example you may have a Menu handler that calls a window method that then calls into a module method to do some work. On the bottom left panel (of the three) you can click on each and see the line of code that got you to this call. There is also a popup at the top of it allowing you to switch between Xojo threads. It is empty in my pictures because I simply paused the run, rather than stopping at a breakpoint.

What I meant was… the time of the small Windows XP boxes is over.

We have nowadays large screens, most of the time two or more screens.

The IDE can have TWO display windows.

Why must we deal with a stamp size à la Windows XP debugger display area ? I want to keep my Code Editor window(s) size AND a Debugger window…

Everybody with me:

All We Are Saying Is
Give Us a Marge Debugger Window !

… One more time… with feeling !

1 Like

@Ian_Kennedy I don’t have a third debugger panel. Can you send a screenshot?

Shown at the bottom left labeled Stack.

Ok thanks! I will try this with the next errors. At the moment (and in the past?) there is nothing to select (on Linux).

Make sure you turn on “Break on exceptions” on the Project menu. It will stop on the line that caused the error, even if you have error handling in place. (Either App.UnhandledException or Try catch).

Things only show there when there is an Exception or a breakpoint.

Yes, “Break on exceptions” is always active.

Ah, but I do. Popup menu at the top of the code pane selects the stack level.

No real need for the third pane.

Like Xojo, Emile, you ignore the fairly large number of users who code on laptops :frowning:

5 Likes

usually i print out what i need with
System.DebugLog ""
and i set a breakpoint below. later i remark or remove this debug output.
you can also use a conditional break
If i = 5 Then Break

to skip Break on exceptions use
https://documentation.xojo.com/api/language/pragma_directives.html
#Pragma BreakOnExceptions False
just because you not want the app interrupt at every error handling.

This is similar to mine. I write it in the title. Then i can watch it better on the screen.
I found out that the debugger really works! But it’s a click-and-search-orgy. Really uncomfortable…

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love a dockable, multi tab, debugger window, with watch and break expressions but I’m not prepared to hold out much hope.

When I first saw the Xojo IDE I thought it was a huge step backwards in productivity, and continued using Real Studio for another 10 years until TLS1.2 forced me to switch. Having used the Xojo IDE for a couple years now, it’s actually far worse than I first thought. (IMO obvioulsy.)

Can you be more specific about this?

I don’t find it a problem on my MacBook Pro 16". Obviously, YMMV.

But I don’t see threads there? It’s so long since I used RB I’ve completely forgotten how it looked. We were in from something like version 2 or perhaps 3.

No… Just Because (old song) I do not own desktop computer since… early 200x… I own and use laptops (M1 and i5 MacBook Pro).

I too liked the two tear off windows (Navigation and Properties) we had in REALbasic (I forgot Real Studio)…

Where is my REALbasic 5.5.5 ?

I use a 13" MacBook, and am constantly having to resize panes to see what I need to see, and to constantly close the navigator, which opens of its on accord at the least provocation <https://xojo.com/issue/65724>

EDIT - Sorry, I meant “Inspector”, not “Navigator”

You can detach it choosing it in your preferences/options.

2 Likes