Debugger Crash... Am I the only one?

Ive been using Xojo for a LONG time. I am a Windows user. I have 9 MBS plugins installed along with Cube and the 5 built-in database server plugins (MS/MY/ODBC/Oracle/Postgre).

Why does the debugger CRASH alot?

Seriously, am I the only one?

Am I doing something wrong?

I have a little console app that I am working on tonight. In 30 minutes the debugger has crashed Xojo 3 times. Yes, this is more frequent than normal, but for years and years I always get crashes while debugging.

Is this normal or just me or just a Windows deal or maybe everyone experiences the same thing and has just learned to accept it?

Just crashed again… the only plugin I am using the the Curl MBS plugin. Could that be the cause?

Can only speak to my direct experience, Brandon, but I have an almost identical setup to yours (Windows, DB plugs, MBS plugs, etc. etc. etc.) and I use the MBSCURLS plug constantly … I get maybe one or two Debugger crashes (freezes and turns the screen translucent) per month. I’m actually very impressed with the stability.

[quote=151246:@Brandon Warlick]Ive been using Xojo for a LONG time. I am a Windows user. I have 9 MBS plugins installed along with Cube and the 5 built-in database server plugins (MS/MY/ODBC/Oracle/Postgre).

Why does the debugger CRASH alot?

Seriously, am I the only one?

Am I doing something wrong?

I have a little console app that I am working on tonight. In 30 minutes the debugger has crashed Xojo 3 times. Yes, this is more frequent than normal, but for years and years I always get crashes while debugging.

Is this normal or just me or just a Windows deal or maybe everyone experiences the same thing and has just learned to accept it?[/quote]

This is news to me. Could you enable user-mode mini dumps and create a bug report with one of the crash dumps attached?

Oh, and putting it in context, those one or two Debugger crashes I get are based on 5 - 7 days per week, 10 - 12 hours per day usage. I may even be causing a few of them myself since I tend to get “happy fingers” on the left mouse key with the cursor over the IDE while the compiler’s running ^^

Joe, I will try the user-mode mini dumps.

Don, that is good to hear. Makes me think my system could be the problem, or at least part of it. I have been using the same PC for 2-3 years and have collected quite a bit of junk. Maybe a fresh install of Windows 8.1 would help.

I will say that my results have all come using Windows 7 Ultimate which has been a REALLY stable OS for me … I purposely stayed away from Windows 8 (or 8.1). Don’t know if that makes any difference here or not.

Same here Windows 7, 64-bit, really stable. RS/RB crash a whole lot more on me before Xojo. I get a few crashes a month, but usually when I am in the middle of tracking down/fixing a bug, like I am laving things in a weird state.

Have used 2014r2.1 under Windows and previous releases the last year with absolutely no instability. IDE is pretty solid under Windows. My guess would be a memory issue. Get a memory checker using a boot cd or usb and let it run overnight… (there are free ones, just Google it).

My 2014r3 hangs while debugging or building projects that works perfectly until the 2014r21 :frowning:

I seldomly see crashes of Xojo on my Windows 8.1. This Windows 8.1 system in my experience is even much more stable than Windows 7 and much faster. All my pc’s run now Windows 8.1 and i am very satisfied with it.
If Xojo crashes it’s mostly caused by my stupid code bugs, nevertheless IMO Xojo should never crash by code errors. But this happens so little that i can live with it.

In that case (crash due to your code) how do you handle your exceptions? My app catches all exceptions, throws up an error report window with crash log, saves the data under a different name if the user so wishes, and then exits the app.

The app SHOULD exit as you can’t guarantee that the data aren’t corrupted, so continuing working with those data might not be a good idea.

@Markus Winter
Catching exceptions is allways the last thing i built in my apps, just let it crash to find the problem is my way. It urges me to code correct.

Agreed. Unless you’re messing with declares, third party plugins, or pointers, Xojo shouldn’t crash on user code.