Debugger and computed properties = crash?

This is something I’ve seen on and off for years but now it’s causing some problems so I thought I’d ask.

I like computed properties and use them occasionally. When I view certain objects in the debugger, the app crashes (not Xojo).

I think it’s due to computed properties and their need to run code when viewed in the debugger.

The problem is that I can’t a) determine which property (or behavior in the property) is the problem and b) I can’t filter for viewing in the debugger by using a pragma like #debugbuild because that’ll kill the behavior for the whole build, not just viewing in the debugger.

the crash report suggests an unhanded nil-object exception but I don’t get those in my app normally so is it in Xojo?

help…

you can put a breakpoint in your computed property and it will hit that if the debugger calls it to get the value

that might be instructive

Everybody gets those eventually. When your app “broke” it should have shown you the line containing your Nil Object

You already answered that yourself.

OK, I put breakpoints in each computed property in the class, its super class and its super class…

Still crashed. No sign of nil obj in crash report just a “Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)”

Any other suggestions?

It’s a particular class that I know I can’t look at in the debugger, so it seems like I should be able to isolate it. It’s just I can’t figure out how.

You’re giving conflicting info so I’m a bit lost.

Why not? Is it a third-party encrypted class? In that case, I’d contact the 3rd party vendor.

Sorry, confusion not intended.

I mean that this time around (with breakpoints in place) it doesn’t show up as a nil obj error - but nothing else is different (crash occurs in came class instance)

I can’t look at it because of the crash I’m referring to. The debugger works normally for all other classes but as soon as I link into an instance of the class, the app crashes.

Comment out the code in each computed property, one at a time, until you no longer get the exception. Then examine the last one you commented out. Maybe post the code here.

Put a breakpoint before the crash occurs and then step through until you get the crash to pinpoint where it is occurring.

[quote=129617:@Steve Upton]OK, I put breakpoints in each computed property in the class, its super class and its super class…

Still crashed. No sign of nil obj in crash report just a “Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)”

Any other suggestions?

It’s a particular class that I know I can’t look at in the debugger, so it seems like I should be able to isolate it. It’s just I can’t figure out how.[/quote]

Put the crash report on pastebin (or something similar) or file a bug report with a project, steps to reproduce, and the crash report.

OK, thanks for your help so far. I’m working on a simplified version of my code that exhibits the same problem but it’s tough.

Along the way I’ve learned a few things:

1. The class that crashes the app, when viewed in the debugger, is a subclass of a subclass. If I strip it down to nothing; no properties, no constructor or other methods, nothing - it still crashes the app.

2. If I move one level up and create an instance of the subclass, I can view it fine in the debugger.

So in other words, a naked subclass (of a subclass) kills the app in debugging.

I created a new sub/sub-class from scratch - same problem. (in case there was something I couldn’t see in the project that was causing a problem)

Any ideas?

I’ll continue to try to isolate the code to find a failing example I can submit. If I simply create a 3-level subclass in a separate project it’s fine so there’s something else…

[quote=129881:@Steve Upton]OK, thanks for your help so far. I’m working on a simplified version of my code that exhibits the same problem but it’s tough.

Along the way I’ve learned a few things:

1. The class that crashes the app, when viewed in the debugger, is a subclass of a subclass. If I strip it down to nothing; no properties, no constructor or other methods, nothing - it still crashes the app.

2. If I move one level up and create an instance of the subclass, I can view it fine in the debugger.

So in other words, a naked subclass (of a subclass) kills the app in debugging.

I created a new sub/sub-class from scratch - same problem. (in case there was something I couldn’t see in the project that was causing a problem)

Any ideas?

I’ll continue to try to isolate the code to find a failing example I can submit. If I simply create a 3-level subclass in a separate project it’s fine so there’s something else…[/quote]

Why not post the crashing project so others can take a peek at it ?

It’s huge, it’s quite complicated, and it’s quite proprietary.

Would if I could…

[quote=129884:@Steve Upton]It’s huge, it’s quite complicated, and it’s quite proprietary.

Would if I could…[/quote]

Can’t you just keep your class in a class thingy that crashes ? BTW, even without posting it, just moving that part of your very big proprietary program into a smaller project may allow you to find the needle that a huge haystack makes so difficult to locate…