Debug.SystemLog ... buggy ?!?

Hi,

I use v 2018 r1.1 on Windows 10 and call System.DebugLog as a way to debug my app. The problem is that the messages are not showing in the Messages section of Xojo. Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to see the messages ?

Thanks

When you debugger is bugged . . .

Is there a reason you’re not using the debugger?

@Gilles Plante I have seen this, running 2017r3 and 2018r1 under MacOS. Calls to System.DebugLog that I know are being executed (I can see the I/O signals generated by the code, with an oscilloscope) are not being written to the message log.

[quote=389739:@Greg O’Lone]Is there a reason you’re not using the debugger?
[/quote]
When debugging a real-time system, breakpoints are sometimes not feasible and the DebugLog can be a big help.

@Greg O Reason is I do want to run the app for a while and the check what is logged without stopping and resuming. That’s something I do in VB 5/6, there the instruction is Debug.Print. Thing is it seems to be broken on Windows.

I have mentioned this before… But a while back I tried to use System.DebugLog and found as Julia did, that either messages never showed up, lagged way behind the event, or in some cases appeared out of order. So I gave up… and created my own solution.
While its not elegant, I found that it never lagged, never was out of order, and the performance hit to the running app was acceptable during testing/debugging (as in neglible)

I add this method to my code, and call it instead of “System.DebugLog”

Public Sub debug(msg As String,force as Boolean=false)
  //return
  Dim f As FolderItem
  Dim t As TextOutputStream
  f=specialfolder.desktop.child("name_of_my_program.trace_log")
  If msg="!!!" Then
    If f.exists Then f.delete
    Exit Sub
  End If
  //
  #If DebugBuild Then
    force=True
  #EndIf

If force Then 
    If Not f.exists Then
      t=TextOutputStream.Create(f)
    Else
      t=TextOutputStream.Append(f)
    End If
    t.write Str(Ticks)+":"+msg+EndOfLine
    t.close
  End If
End Sub

I’ve noticed this too <https://xojo.com/issue/50232>

Dave’s suggestion is great, I also use DebugView in windows. If you prepend your messages with a unique ID (i.e.app name) then you can filter those messages in DebugView to see messages from just your app and not system wide.

Hi Julian,

tried to open the link for the Feedback Case, but it doesn’t work.

[quote=389761:@Gilles Plante]Hi Julian,

tried to open the link for the Feedback Case, but it doesn’t work.[/quote]

You’ll need to install the Xojo Feedback app first: https://www.xojo.com/download/extras.php

[quote=389756:@]I’ve noticed this too <https://xojo.com/issue/50232>
[/quote]
Norman’s reply seems to imply that this behavior is “by design” and makes me doubt that it will be fixed.

Yeah, I can understand it if there’s a lot of logs being created because at some point those logs are going to be pretty pointless if you’re trying to see things happen in “real time” which is why I specifically put in a ticket about it losing messages where I was only raising 5 messages and they were still being lost on app shutdown. Still Gilles doesn’t mention how many logs he’s creating but yes it looks like its not 100% guaranteed to see the messages unless you use some other sort of logging.

[quote=389756:@]I’ve noticed this too Feedback Case #50232

Dave’s suggestion is great, I also use DebugView in windows. If you prepend your messages with a unique ID (i.e.app name) then you can filter those messages in DebugView to see messages from just your app and not system wide.[/quote]
I thought this was/is the only way to go, since the system.debuglog pane did not feel handy and reliable to me for years already.