Debug build crashes immediately on launch with Xojo 2014 r3

I simply try to run my project and it crashes before I see anything. This same project works fine under Xojo 2014 r2.1.

I have looked at the release notes to see if there is anything I might need to change with my project to make it work with this release.

I don’t really want to say this is a bug in Xojo - it could very well be my project. But I can’t even debug the project to see where it is crashing.

Below is a snippet from the crash log that I think is relevant, but I have no idea what to do with this. What is a “lazysymbol”?

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 dyld 0x8fe4d0b5 dyld_fatal_error + 1 1 dyld 0x8fe4fde8 dyld::bindLazySymbol(mach_header const*, unsigned long*) + 72 2 dyld 0x8fe6034e stub_binding_helper_interface2 + 20 3 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x006cd6b6 ReportThread.__ctblinit + 5116 4 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x006cc2a9 ReportThread.__Lookup%p% + 36 5 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x00378f3d DataComponents._wrapper_RR.__ctblinit + 106 6 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x008e080d RuntimePerformInitializers + 1536 7 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x008e0f05 start + 53

I hesitate to submit a Feedback case without first checking here to see if there is something I might do to fix this.

By the way, I did clear the Xojo cache and I have tried other apps I support and they build with no problem.

Old plugin?

Should have mentioned that…

I only use one plugin - Valentina. I have other Valentina apps that build fine with the r3.

[quote=150542:@Steve Albin]I simply try to run my project and it crashes before I see anything. This same project works fine under Xojo 2014 r2.1.

I have looked at the release notes to see if there is anything I might need to change with my project to make it work with this release.

I don’t really want to say this is a bug in Xojo - it could very well be my project. But I can’t even debug the project to see where it is crashing.

Below is a snippet from the crash log that I think is relevant, but I have no idea what to do with this. What is a “lazysymbol”?

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 dyld 0x8fe4d0b5 dyld_fatal_error + 1 1 dyld 0x8fe4fde8 dyld::bindLazySymbol(mach_header const*, unsigned long*) + 72 2 dyld 0x8fe6034e stub_binding_helper_interface2 + 20 3 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x006cd6b6 ReportThread.__ctblinit + 5116 4 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x006cc2a9 ReportThread.__Lookup%p% + 36 5 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x00378f3d DataComponents._wrapper_RR.__ctblinit + 106 6 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x008e080d RuntimePerformInitializers + 1536 7 com.soundcatalog.BRIAN 0x008e0f05 start + 53

I hesitate to submit a Feedback case without first checking here to see if there is something I might do to fix this.

By the way, I did clear the Xojo cache and I have tried other apps I support and they build with no problem.[/quote]

What’s higher up in the crash log?

there may be a message in the top of the crash report or on console.app.

There is a message and not really knowing how to read these, I overlooked it.

Symbol not found: _ReportThread:InterfaceForReporting.__Lookup%p%

Obviously, I was doing something with an interface that has been “fixed” in the new release. :slight_smile:

Here’s the top of the report:
Process: BRIAN.debug [16655]
Path: /Users/USER/*/BRIAN.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/BRIAN.debug
Identifier: com.soundcatalog.BRIAN
Version: BRIAN 8.4.2 (8.4.2.2.73)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [142]
Responsible: BRIAN.debug [16655]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-12-10 16:22:13.033 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 226848BA-1FE4-2553-0A91-20EFF5E0E2CE

Sleep/Wake UUID: ACE7363D-20D2-420A-862D-5FCD3631CB1A

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _ReportThread:InterfaceForReporting.__Lookup%p%
Referenced from: /Users/USER//BRIAN.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/BRIAN.debug
Expected in: /Users/USER/
/BRIAN.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework

This appears to be a crash relating to incremental compilation. I’d appreciate it if you create a private bug report in Feedback with your project’s cache folder that is located inside of ‘~/Library/Caches/Xojo/2014.03.00.fc.28093/Projects/’. If possible, attach a copy of the project you’ve had this issue with.

Once you’ve created the bug report, deleting the cache folder and rebuilding should solve your problem.

The case has been submitted. <https://xojo.com/issue/37237>

Unfortunately, deleting the cache has not solved the problem.

A few months ago, I was struggling to understand how interfaces worked and I thought I got it. As it appears now, I may have got away with something and the new release is not liking it. At least now I have a clue where to look.

It’s definitely a bug in the compiler and not something you’re doing wrong. Even if there is invalid input, the compiler should report an error and not build an invalid executable.

That’s good to know. I really didn’t want to have to go back and work on the code for the interface. I can live with r2.1 for a while…

In case anyone is following or stumbles across this thread looking for answers it turns out I was getting away with some sloppy coding before r3.

Quoting from the response by Joe Ranieri in my private Feedback case:

[quote]There is a bug in your project where the ‘InterfaceForReporting’ class interface is set to aggregate itself. If you select InterfaceForReporting and go into the aggregates editor and uncheck the interface, your project will work.

I’ve created public case #37242 to track the issue.

[/quote]

I made the suggested change and all is well. Thanks Joe.