Dear Santa - where are we at with "Artistic Tools"?

From what I’ve read we have Microsoft “Surface Pro” which seems like a great tool for the Artist. I’m not sure about the Mac OS offering.

Simple video/audio editing with the ability to “draw” live on a touch screen, preferably a tablet.

What do we have that is a good tool for the creative person?

Not for me, but for my 13 & 16yr old children.

Tell me everything.

It is better to start with a normal computer and a Wacom tablet.

Yes, I’m aware of Wacom tablets - good as they are, they are just a more precise mouse. They don’t “show” you “LIVE” what you are drawing on the screen.

I have a Surface Pro and $ for $, feature for feature, it’s far more useful than an iPad. And, you don’t need to buy the pro - the Surface Go is still quite a usable tablet for $499 and the pen is still very sensitive and responsive, even though it doesn’t have the marketing spiel that Apple provides :).

I have a Wacom Intuos 5 touch tablet and I can assure you, it draws everything live on screen with very much precision. I again disagree with you about a more precise mouse. A Wacom tablet draws in absolute mode, while a mouse do everything in a relative mode.

If an Intuos tablet not do, then surely a Cintique tablet will do. There is a screen built in the tablet which let you see what you draw on the tablet itself. However, I find that overkill for most projects.

With enough practice you learn to watch your screen while drawing on the tablet. Also the tablet should in front of you not on the side of your keyboard.

It is important you learn to draw with a tablet. However, there can be something wrong with your hand-eye coordination. In that case, none of the tablets will do and you need a doctor. To give you a personal example, I had CTS on both hands for years and use Wacom tablet since then. The tablet helped (and still do) me very much but in the period I suffered from CTS, I had to edit many of my drawings.

To be honest, I no longer can draw with a mouse or touchpad, because I am used to the tablet. Don’t ask me how many nips I used throughout the years because I lost counting.

I hope you will find what you are looking for.

Merry Christmas

Chris

Cheers Tim.

Nice, Nice, Nice. I do have a soft spot for mac OS, but when it comes to using a tool, then let’s use the best tool available.

$499 is reasonable and within budget.

[quote=419071:@Chris Verberne]I have a Wacom Intuos 5 touch tablet and I can assure you, it draws everything live on screen with very much precision. I again disagree with you about a more precise mouse. A Wacom tablet draws in absolute mode, while a mouse do everything in a relative mode.

If an Intuos tablet not do, then surely a Cintique tablet will do. There is a screen built in the tablet which let you see what you draw on the tablet itself. However, I find that overkill for most projects.

With enough practice you learn to watch your screen while drawing on the tablet. Also the tablet should in front of you not on the side of your keyboard.

It is important you learn to draw with a tablet. However, there can be something wrong with your hand-eye coordination. In that case, none of the tablets will do and you need a doctor. To give you a personal example, I had CTS on both hands for years and use Wacom tablet since then. The tablet helped (and still do) me very much but in the period I suffered from CTS, I had to edit many of my drawings.

To be honest, I no longer can draw with a mouse or touchpad, because I am used to the tablet. Don’t ask me how many nips I used throughout the years because I lost counting.

I hope you will find what you are looking for.

Merry Christmas

Chris[/quote]

Appreciated Chris, but if you draw on paper, then the Wacom scenario will never be good enough. You have to “see” as you draw.!!!

lol, most of digital artist DONT draw directly on a screen, that is a trending with recent tecnologies. and actually there are WACOM tablets with drawing on a screen capabilities better than the windows surface.

My daughter is currently using this one on her apprenticeship, as are many of the other kids:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Parblo-Coast10-10-1-Graphic-Drawing-Digital-Tablet-LCD-Monitor-with-Battery-free-Pen-1280-800/32621394617.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.595e5f8e4Q5WDR&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_100031_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_538_537_536_10134,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=1d007151-f774-4a3b-b8bc-ceb0127d20dd-0&algo_pvid=1d007151-f774-4a3b-b8bc-ceb0127d20dd

They went through a few others before finding this one and I ended up returning two others. The main issues were around slow updates between the computer and the tablet.

She has been using this one all day and is very happy with it. No feedback on the long term for some while… Dad is very happy with the price!

@James Dooley - If I read that correctly, that’s a monitor, not a tablet. It must be connected to an existing computer to function. Not quite the same thing.

Art for Art Sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZFte3lhDpI

I love Art, I love programming. To me, programming is an an Artistic pursuit because you “create” something. It’s all good.

Yes. I’ve have nothing to go on but by daughter’s feedback. They are bunch of apprentices with very limited budgets :slight_smile:

Well, 10CC were pretty good in their day. Perhaps they didn’t get the financial resources that they needed, but I wouldn’t go as far to say that it was “their” fault. That’s a bit harsh.

[EDIT] :slight_smile:
Ummm… I have a very “dry” sense of humour…

30 Years ago, you could buy that on an Apple II (but no iPad then). :wink: and :frowning:

I watched an ad on tv yesterday who displays how the iPad with the Apple Pencil is good. Now there was only drawings, no drawing on video; you can get an eye @ a local dealer, eventually. iPads are < $1,000 (USD), I suppose (iPad Pro ?).