Datetime.FromString

then I checked these settings:

and I modified them like this:

no errors:

Finally, I don’t understand what relevance can have the United States setting instead of Italy, in the date format YYYY-MM-DD.
why 1977-05-21 and 1977-05-23 work and 1977-05-22 does not work?

maybe someone in the Xojo team can focus on this topic?
thank you

Filed a bugreport?

no, I will do it soon.
first I was pleased to share here my new tests.
and my worries because all seems very strange to me.

1 Like

Must be a metric vs. imperial date issue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry could not resist this comment

1 Like

Have you looked at s3 in the debugger to see exactly what bytes it contains, and compared each byte with an ASCII table?

Can you share the Language & Region settings that you used on Mac? I did test changing to Italy but was not able to reproduce.

Did you try to define a locale as additional fromString parameter? As you are using US notation for the string, that one possibly?

From Wiki i read that in italy the date format is using “/”

Ok when you define a locale xojo expects:

If you specify a locale, the dateValue text must be formatted to match the locale you specify. For example, specifying the locale as “en-US” would then require the format to be MM/DD/YYYY.

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/data_types/datetime.html#datetime-fromstring

So this may be a better solution?

I meant to define US locale instead of Nil.

Try this one:

Dim d As DateTime = DateTime.FromString(“22/05/1977”, Locale.Current, TimeZone.Current)

That .FromString(“1977-05-22”) does is it takes a SQLDate (or SQLDateTime)
If you provide the other parameters it expects an locale based date(time), must be set…

I tried on a Windows 10 1909 laptop, changed the Region to “Italia” and can’t reproduce the problem. This is a weird error.

1 Like

@DerkJ I understand what you are proposing, but it would not explain that his code only fails for one specific date, this is really strange, isn’t it?

1 Like

Yeah, report it and move on… I have no clue what’s happening inside the .FromString… only Xojo can tell you what’s going on… I do find this a scary bug since this could happen in any datetime…

1 Like

from Xojo documentation (Datetime): “When no locale is specified, the dateValue parameter can be in either SQLDate (YYYY-MM-DD) or SQLDateTime (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS) formats.”

In the real scenario, I receive the dates from a database text field, in YYYY-MM-DD format.
I don’t think I need to specify anything else.
especially because I receive thousands of dates and the only error occurred with that date!

1 Like

Preferred language: English
Region: Italy

You can argue over what you aant but it’s not gonna be fixed from the forum comments… i use this as well and i see possible problems in this. We handle millions of dates! Just one failing can be a major issue if you expect it to do what it has to do.

This is out of your hands. Perhaps create a method that parses the string and return a datetime yourself?

1 Like

I will report to Xojo Inc.
as we said before.
I just wanted to update you with my latest tests.
thanks all for suggestions.

1 Like

Xojo2020r1.2, macOS 10.14.6 can’t reproduce using Language: English and Region: Italy

It will be hard for Xojo to reproduce, I hope they can.

Try this.