DataGrid Demo- Looking for feedback

[quote=141327:@Gyula Szabo]A small observation. The return key does not work on the Numeric pad.

[/quote]
I’ll need to fix that…

For now, I’ve implemented tranparency!

Looks like vibrancy to me :slight_smile: sweet stuff

Fantastic work!

Well, technically, the vibrancy is in the window. The dataGrid just lets it come through. I also added a HeaderOffset, so you can stick the grid under the titlebar if you want all the color to come through. Seems like the vibrancy adds a noticeable lag to things (like mouseDrag events…)

[quote=141327:@Gyula Szabo]A small observation. The return key does not work on the Numeric pad.

[/quote]

Looks like it is seen as ascii 3… is that new in Xojo or did I just forget?

The ascii chart says
3=end of text

In any case, it works now.

I tried to figure which algorithm would be necessary to emulate vibrancy with Xojo code, and quickly found out it is not a simple task.

I looked the net for vibrancy algorithms and found out that it usually involves augmenting color saturation. And sharpness, but that is not what Apple does. Apple as a matter of fact goes beyond blur and simulates light diffraction. Such optical effect normally requires heavy calculation.

I think I may be having a memory issue… 4G might not be enough for Yosemite… Mail.app seems to be a major problem too. I quit Mail and Safari and the lag is gone.

You may be right. After using my iMac happily since 2011 with 4GB, Xcode 6.1 is awfully slow. I am following a video course and must pause all the time or rewind, as my machine is much, much slower than what the movie shows. Same thing for the iOS Simulator that is much slower on my machine. It must be paging a lot. I ordered 16GB yesterday.

This site describes some steps that makes it very close to what Apple does.
http://supercolortuts.com/create-a-custom-ios-7-style-blur-background-in-photoshop/

In pure Xojo, I would say that’s not possible (speedwise), but using WebGL or OpenGL shaders, maybe it could be done.

[quote=142245:@Alain Bailleul]This site describes some steps that makes it very close to what Apple does.
http://supercolortuts.com/create-a-custom-ios-7-style-blur-background-in-photoshop/

In pure Xojo, I would say that’s not possible (speedwise), but using WebGL or OpenGL shaders, maybe it could be done.[/quote]

Yes, I looked into Gaussian blur right away. But as you say, I suspect such algorithms in Xojo would be kind of slow. Especially when regular Gaussian blur is usually done around 10 pixels max, and we are talking 300 here. So in effect it means blowing up each pixel in the original picture 300 times.

I will see if the algorithms I have for Gaussian blur in Xojo can go up to 300 though.

Thank you for the pointer, Alain.

@Michel Bujardet Running 10 times a stackblur of 30 (fastest blur I know in native Xojo) gets me pretty near to step 1.

Is this datagrid going to be available somewhere?

It is coming soon. Working out hierarchical views right now. :wink:

Looking forward to testing this! Don’t forget the source-code option.

Did this die? Looked interesting.

Nope, looks great and works good. See http://www.pidog.com/piDogScrollingCanvas/DataView.shtml . It’s not cheap but IMO it’s the only up-to-date control for working with lots of data.

It really is performing awesome on macOS and Win.

+1

Is Linux and Raspberry supported? I’m still using looking for an alternative to Einhugurs Grid Control for all platforms

I’d LOVE this for Web Apps.

[quote=296812:@Dave Kondris]Did this die? Looked interesting.

[/quote]
Far from dead. I’ve been working through some HIDPI issues for Windows and Display scaling on Linux. The other tricky point has been getting column resizing right.

There was quite a delay chasing what turned out to be an unrelated issue… I was having random IDE and demo crashes that I couldn’t nail down. Turned out to be a memory issue with my machine. Now everything is working well and I can get to the real issues. :slight_smile:

[quote=296858:@Hal Gumbert]I’d LOVE this for Web Apps.

[/quote]
I have an idea of how this would work, but it will take some time. It would likely start out as a much more basic control. [quote=296824:@Björn Dohle]Is Linux and Raspberry supported? I’m still using looking for an alternative to Einhugurs Grid Control for all platforms

[/quote]
Linux is supported, but I haven’t played with a Rasperry pi yet. (It does complete the build, but is untested) Feel free to try building the demo and load it on a pi. I may pick one up… they look interesting.