customer's crash on entering text

Hi there…
i have a customer who’s running Mavericks 10.9.1.
In my app, Guitar SightReader Toolbox, there’s a window that opens and whenever he enters anything in a textfield box, it crashes.
Has anybody else experienced that? It’s a carbon app (no chance of going cocoa until the AV stuff is fully implemented).

here’s the error
Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (noErr == status, “”), function DrawCaret, file /Users/realsoftware/BuildSlave/StableCarbon/build/REALbasic/REALbasic Xcode/…/…/Common/Controls/ATSUEdit/ATSUEdit.cpp, line 972.

any ideas? It only does this on one machine and only on one window.

Corrupted font?

Not really, it’s using Arial font… everybody has that :slight_smile:

Right, but what I’m saying is, maybe the copy on that one machine is corrupted. It wouldn’t hurt to replace it with another copy.

One thing I have people do when they have unexplained crashes in any app is create a new user account and then try the app there. Often the problem goes away, indicating a corrupt preference or setting of some kind. Of course, that doesn’t really help fix the problem…

I’d suspect a corrupted font too.

Detecting and dealing with a corrupted font is easy:

• open Font Book application
  • select all Fonts
  • File Menu/ Choose “Validate Fonts”

You’ll get Green, Yellow, and Red issues. The red ones usually are important and need to be dealt with.

Out of curiosity, what part of that report makes you suspect a corrupted font?

It has to be something unique to that machine, and the function is DrawCaret.

Thanks…so DrawCaret is the clue? Google wasn’t too much help for me on that one, although spelling it DrawCarat didn’t help. LOL

It’s strange to me that it’s only happening on one of the windows, though.

I wonder if the character that is being typed has a zero or negative width. But again, that would imply a corrupt font. Do you know if it’s a particular character causing the problem?